1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Chipotle Changed American Fast Food Forever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Mar 14, 2014.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Also, edible food. Subway should try that.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Besides the nicer decor, the biggest difference between Subway and Chipotle is that they don't serve sandwiches!

Prior to them, it was rare to find actual food served quickly. Sure, you could get sandwiches, pizza, and even Taco Bell could sling food at you quickly, but Chipotle was was one of the first do do it with actual food.

Others have followed their formula.

A few years ago, Food Network ran a series called America's Next Great Restaurant, in which Steve Ells served as one of the judges. Nearly every competitor wanted to open the "Chipotle of Asian food," or Italian food, or Indian food. (Which drove Ells crazy.) But, you can find Indian, Mediterranean, and other cuisines served in this fassion now.

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

Isn't that sort of what Panda Express is trying to do?

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

Outing alert!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There have been other sandwich places around that do what Subway does. Quiznos has been around for 30-plus years (of course, now in bankruptcy). But the Chipotle/Subway concept are basically the same: See your food made and add/subtract as you watch it.

Works for healthier food like salads, including these two that I hit up but are based here:

https://www.greenfinesalad.com/menu/
    http://www.madgreens.com/menu/themenu/

And as mentioned before, these guys

http://illegalpetes.com/menu

are a super-smaller, hipper version of Chipotle with a bar and louder music and breakfast versions.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Cava Mezze Grill is a DC-area chain that's basically Greek Chipotle. It's pretty damn good.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Except that Panda sucks. There are tons of mom-and-pop and small chains that do fast-serve Chinese better, and less expensive, than them.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Greek Chipotle would be a big hit with me. I love Chipotle, and Moe's is pretty good too. Never been to Qdoba, and they opened a Panchero's in my town, but it closed down before I had a chance to try it. That is now a place called Taco Son, which is pretty damn good.
    Subway is OK for what it is. If you need a quick, relatively healthy meal for cheap. I agree the quality has gone down, but I don't think it was really that tasty to begin with. I was just younger and didn't realize all my choices. But I'll still hit up Subway for a foot-long to get a couple of meals to bring to work for 5 bucks. Still haven't tried the Fritos on my sub.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I don't have Panda near me anymore. I miss it. Mmmm, Firecracker Chicken.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

Yeah, that's good and healthy!

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I ran into Jared once while visiting Indianapolis. He was eating dinner at Outback.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The guy just loves restaurant chains.

Draft saved Draft deleted