1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can baseball dinosaurs so consistently get Moneyball wrong?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jul 19, 2011.

1. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

The 2000, 2002, 2003, and 2006 AL Wests, and the 2001 AL Wild Card, all with much less resources than baseball's big spenders.

Being very smart with limited resources doesn't automatically land you a World Series title, but it is worthy of praise.

(That said, the A's suck now.)

I mean, look at this. The A's had the third-worst payroll in baseball and won 103 games. What did the Rangers do with $70M more invested on payroll? The Mets?

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Go ahead and bash Beane. Or sabermetrics.

But don't make up stats that you think are saber-friendly. It makes one look ridiculously stupid.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You're missing the point of the thread. Nobody is debating sabermetrics or Beane's methods. What we are saying is Conlin clearly doesn't know what those methods are.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Isn't Conlin also one of the idiots who intentionally leaves deserving players off his Hall of Fame ballot to ensure that nobody ever gets in unanimously?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's fine if Conlin wants to make that argument. That's not the issue. The issue is that he's basing the argument on incorrect grounds.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

All about the rings, baby. And my favorite stat is the one at the end of a World Series where my team has won four games.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

didn't read the article did you?

How have the Red Sox done using pretty much the same philosophy?

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Lazy and simplistic, I guess I should not be shocked.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Do you not understand the argument going on here?

Conlin is ripping on Billy Beane for caring about stats that Bill Beane in actuality also thinks are garbage. This would be like an entertainment writer writing, "Tom Hanks's career went downhill as soon as he starred in 'Krippendorf's Tribe,"" and you responding, "Well, did Hanks win an Oscar for 'Krippendorf's Tribe'? Did he? That's what I thought. Pwned!"

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Wow, just wow.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This is a recent Spink Award winner, also.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://crashburnalley.com/2007/11/23/conlins-losing-numbers/

Draft saved Draft deleted