1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How big is your bracket?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Damn. How many pages in your section?

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i thought size didn't matter

3. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I asked for extra space for the brackets. Between that and state hockey championships, they gave me almost 6 full pages. I was like a kid in a candy store.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We ran a full 6-column bracket. Took up half of our only inside page, but there wasn't much going on in Podunk yesterday and today, anyway. Only thing I didn't get in that was relevant was an NBA roundup.

After the paper ran, though, I started looking at it and thinking. I ran it that big because, as a fan, I've always loved getting the big bracket out of the newspaper the day after it was released. I'll fill it out as the games end and use another for my picks. I figure other people might do the same. If we have the space, like we did today, what the hell?
    But now, with the ability to print out brackets from the web at a decent size, is running the big bracket a necessity any more? If I lay out the paper on selection Monday next year, I'll probably do the same thing. I just wonder if an extra story and a slightly smaller bracket might've been a better way to go.

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Running a blank bracket in 2009? Really?

Is that like wrapping yourself up in a blanket without sleeves.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Blank brackets? Pointless.
    Completed brackets? I bet a lot of people still use the newspaper copy.
    The majority of people go to Sportsline, ESPN, Yahoo, SI or wherever and print out a copy.

You can't please everyone all the time.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm thinking the same thing reading this thread. Do those big brackets really serve a real purpose anymore?

8. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

We have enough non-Internet readers here that I'm quite certain we'd be flooded with calls if we didn't have the brackets in our paper.

9. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Only used 4 columns for the women's bracket. Nuts to Title IX.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

6 pages on a Monday. Nice.

11. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

That made me laugh, too.

Our bracket, so far, is smaller than a half-page but bigger than a quarter. It's kinda tough to read.

Draft saved Draft deleted