1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How bad would bad have to get before you went to war against your own country?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If Dick Whitman and Betty Draper get back together, that's it. I'm rioting.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would take up arms against any oppressor who told me the plot twists of TV shows I haven't watched yet.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Off to the streets you go. 10 years, $254 million worth of riots.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That makes it sound like he's going to Detroit.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The South loses in the end... Lee makes a couple terrible decisions at Gettysburg.

6. dpfunk78

dpfunk78 Guest

Well put.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm waiting for the portal to take me into an alternate universe instead of fighting in the revolution.

8. NDub

NDub Guest

I'm creating and connecting some dots here, but go with me...

If you have some time read Ten Years Later, a very short what-if story by Richard Clarke. In it, he creates a United States that becomes Orwellian-like as a result of further terrorist attacks within our borders. Security becomes much tighter and more expansive, checkpoints are set up, electronics usage is watched, shipments are tracked, our borders are basically sealed, we get up to Patriot Act III, etc., etc. Most Americans are cool with it because they feel safe (Clarke does a great job fear mongering with the types of very basic and "successful" attacks that could cause the country get all post-September 11th-y). There's a rise of a third political party set on protecting Americans' civil liberties, which have become very violated. Anyway, if you take that a step further and consider there is a swath of the country that feels like "Big Brother is Watching," then the masses might begin to mobilize beyond protest, then, well.... you've got the question posed in this thread.

Yes, I know I'm thinking Hollywood-y (giggity),but it's fun to think about.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

WOVERINES!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What about a "Jericho-like" scenario where people within the U.S. government set up an operation to detonate nuclear bombs in major cities, and set up an "Allied States of America" out West with a new constitution?

11. vicd

vicd Active Member

As a Tea party member I would make sure I got all the proper permits before I attempted to overthrow the government.

12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Spoiler Alert:

He will be back and we will do this all over again.

Draft saved Draft deleted