1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How bad does 2 kids with 2 women hurt Brady?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by thebiglead, Mar 8, 2007.

1. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Saw the other thread, but I assume that will be the comedy version.

One out-of-wedlock child was bad enough ... now two? Just curious what the general public will think of him. Shawn Kemp has been the butt of eight million jokes ... will Brady, too?

Yes, I'm wondering if there will be a double-standard because Brady is white.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Kemp has also done it more....and he had ruined his career by gaining too much weight. Whatever you think of Brady's off-field adventures, they haven't hurt him on the field so far.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure he won't lose his starting QB job.

4. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Brady does it with supermodels. Kemp did it with crack hos who could help him score a kilo.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember that nobody made jokes, criticized, etc., Steve Garvey, too.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The white-black thing is a stretch. Kemp has at least seven kids with six different women, and by other accounts, possibly 13 or more kids out of wedlock. That is the source of the joke for people who aren't racist--not the color of his skin. Kemp has also been to court at least a few times I can remember, without looking, over paternity suits and child support payments.

This is also going to turn into a joke with Brady (but more because with him it looks like he's on a quest to suddenly populate the world with super model-golden boy children). But let's see how he handles himself with regard to these kids. Isn't that what it should be about?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No way, Ragu. We have to label this a racially-motivated double standard right now, before there has even been time for a reaction.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

This will turn into a joke with Brady ... he's a love 'em & leave 'em type, he's trying to start his own team, he's trying to populate the world with children who are athletic supermodels, he's on a quest to eliminate the supermodel competition (you can't be a supermodel when your pregnancy is noticeable) for his one true love, etc.

Ragu is right in that we need to wait and see if Brady owns up to his responsibility as a father or if he says "she's a millionare supermodel, why should I pay her child support?"

9. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

hasn't affected him on the field because it's all happened in the last two months.

but somebody made the point of Garvey ... I just think perhaps it's magnified when black athletes do it ... and not so much when white athletes do it.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Joe, if I was one of those two kids, I'd care less about which of my fabulously wealthy parents is footing the bill for the cello lessons and more about whether my dad is actually a dad.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There is more to being a responsible father than paying child support.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Never meant to imply money/child support was the only issue.

Which is why I used the phrase "lives up to his responsibilities as a parent", intending it to be all-encompassing... acting like a father, being there for the kids, etc.

What I meant was will he be a father or will he say "see ya, you're on your own to raise the kids"?

Draft saved Draft deleted