1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How are you going to cook your Thanksgiving turkey?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

However the deli at Kroger does it.

2. joe

joe Active Member

Brine. Tent the tits in the oven for hours, then take off at the end to get that golden brown color.

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

At my last shop, we did this section featuring young elementary students explaining how to do Thanksgiving dinner. They must know what they're doing, so I'll throw the tirkee in the microwave for 30 seconds and call it good.

4. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I volunteered to work for one of my coworkers so he could spend the day with his wife and son.

However the caterers bring the food to us will be just fine.

5. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Brine it overnight with some bourbon and apple cider and herbs in the brine solution.

Then smoke it over apple wood for about 3 hours.

Finish it off in the oven if the meat temperature is not up to safe eating levels.

By the way, if you smoke the turkey, you should use the carcass to make a rich stock that you can use for a bean soup or a split pea soup when the meat is gone. Save all "scraps" of bone, cartelige, skin etc. for that stock!

6. Rawbot

Rawbot Member

Shucks. The thread title led me to believe this was going to be a discussion about sexual positions.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm letting the TCNs at the chow hall do it.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Once you brine a bird, you will never go back.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Dead, and with lots of Wild.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It works, but it's not an American turkey, so to speak. But I believe you've expressed a fondness for scaled-down French cooking.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think I've just been insulted.

Alma can be subtle, so I'm not sure.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

sounds good. Do you use a particular kind of apple? Do you skin it?

I buy a fresh bird from a turkey farm near my house. They recommend no brine on a fresh kill, and by fresh I mean its killed and dressed on Tuesday, I pick it up on Wednesday and eat it on Thursday.

I make a fresh herb and butter mixture then slather it under the skin. Make an olive oil and herb mixture and coat the outside with it. Usually just throw fresh herbs into the cavity but I will try the sage and apple.

Draft saved Draft deleted