1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How about this lede?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

OK, maybe it's the fact I am opperating on about two hours sleep and am a little punchy, but I really don't know what to think about this lede, if it is a candidate for the worst lede ever thread and I should delete it as quickly as possible, or if the humour is subtle enough that it works. let me know. (school names obviously changed)

The Juice squeezes out a Rustlers split

His name isn’t Orenthal James Simpson, but the Bumfuck Rustlers have their own version of O.J. who proved on the weekend he is just as deadly – on the basketball court that is.
    Stephen Olivier-Job helped bring the Rustlers back from the dead and salvage a split with State U. on their opening weekend.

And from there the story continues on with the score, his stats and highlights, etc., normal gamer write up.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

Is shooting the writer an option? ;(

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I hope not

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

And I'm not sure I'd want to compare a kid to OJ, much less make a reference to bringing anyone from back from the dead.

Just my $.02

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Or, worse still Pern, that "he is just as deadly."

I'd have slashed all of the OJ references.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sorry for not being clear, that's what I meant when I said he compared him to OJ.

I agree. Commit a heinous double-homicide on the lede. (Boy, that wasn't much of a pun, was it? :) )

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I really need to start getting more than two hours sleep before coming to work.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They're playing basketball in Bumfuck already?

In the future, you might want to sub the cutesy OJ reference with Ted Bundy or Jeffrey Dahmer and see if your sides are still splitting.

9. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

Agreed. I hope that didn't run. Nothing personal.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

No it didn't run. Not a chance. It's been a weired morning, not thinking to well.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

The subtle jokes are usually the most clever.
    Well done, Spnited.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's horrible.

OJ didn't bring anyone back from the dead.

Draft saved Draft deleted