1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Houston's Perfect Storm

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Thought I would separate this from the current running Ike thread because it's so chilling.

This was written by the Houston Chronicle's Eric Berger ... seven months before Rita.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/3046592.html

Houston's perfect storm would feed on late summer's warm waters as it barreled northward across the Gulf of Mexico, slamming into the coast near Freeport.

A landfall here would allow its powerful upper-right quadrant, where the waves move in the same direction as the storm, to overflow Galveston Bay. Within an hour or two, a storm surge, topping out at 20 feet or more, would flood the homes of 600,000 people in Harris County. The surge also would block the natural drainage of flooded inland bayous and streams for a day or more.

Coastal residents who ignored warnings to flee would have no hope of escape as waters swelled and winds roiled around their homes. Very likely, hundreds, perhaps even thousands, would die.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Wow.

We'll see how that plays out.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Not if the thousands who live there GET THE HELL OUT OF DODGE! As, apparently, they are, because I have family on the west side of Houston, and they say everyone is beating feet out of there.

4. Football_Bat

Damn skippy. That's what I'm talking about.

Leave the whole shooting match for Boob Selig to watch a Cubs-Astros game that no one will attend.

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Note, though: The "perfect storm" he's talking about is a Cat 5 that hits at exactly the right spot and flares up with little warning.

I still say Ike goes east of Houston.

6. Football_Bat

The story I linked only said Cat 3, but when you you get into alleged Cat 5 territory, the "whatevers" get forgotten.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The Friday and Saturday Cubs-Astros games have been postponed.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bout damn time

9. dargan

dargan Active Member

Anyone else think the evacuations didn't happen early enough?

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yes, but I'll say what I've been saying since the early post-Katrina analysis: None of this is an exact science, and with many people living paycheck to paycheck, the cry-wolf aspect of too many early evacuations in a lifetime can make things a tough call. Sometimes you get it right; sometimes you get it wrong. Sometimes you really get it wrong, especially with storms that don't know how to read the script the computer models have written for them.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone know if the government provides tax deductions for gas purchased to evacuate a hurricane? Seems like it would be a no-brainer, but then again.
    And if you haven't read it, check out Isaac's Storm on the first Galveston hurricane written by Erik Larson. A hell of a book.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'll echo that. Read it earlier this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted