1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Houston Chronicle

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bearkat21, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Bearkat21

Bearkat21 New Member

Saw this in the business section today. Anyone know if the sports staff is hit with this?

The Houston Chronicle today began layoffs of approximately 12 percent of its employees in an effort to reduce costs amid unprecedented change in the newspaper industry, Chronicle Publisher and President Jack Sweeney announced.

"As our newspaper continues to report the condition of the economy, we read about companies in all business categories adjusting their size to match current and projected revenues," Sweeney wrote to Chronicle employees. "The Houston Chronicle must do the same in spite of your diligent efforts."

The Chronicle will be providing severance packages, which include two weeks of pay for each year of service up to one year's pay, and career transition services to those employees affected.

2. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

Anyone know who was let go?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A guy named Scoop is asking us!?!?

Anyone who knows anything and isn't comfortable posting,you know the drill. Hit me with a PM.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Here's some info from the Black Monday thread:

5. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2009/03/chron_cuts_the_jeff_cohen_memo.php

and

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2009/03/chronicle_layoffs_add.php

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Damn. I enjoyed getting to know MK Bower during college baseball postseason play, including at the College World Series. The few times I shared a press box with Michael Murphy, I liked his company too. I hope those guys -- and everyone affected -- land on their feet.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I used to work with MK during our HCN days. Damn shame.

8. Moderator1

One name I'm hearing I must confirm further before posting but it has me shaking my head.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Fran Blinebury, who used to be a columnist, is gone.

10. Moderator1

Uh, yeah. That's the name. There is your confirmation.

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Nice that they were treated like criminals when they were told they couldn't leave with anything unless they had a permission slip.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Fran? That's stupid even by newspaper management standards.

Draft saved Draft deleted