1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Houston Chronicle for sale?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, Jun 13, 2006.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Have heard some rumors. Anyone else hearing anything?

2. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Unless the paper is in financial trouble, I wouldn't believe it.

3. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Hearst style is to dump its paper when its in a competitive market, not when it's got the upper hand. Still, for the right price, I'm sure they would listen. It's not like the HouChron is regarded as one of the nation's premier outfits.

4. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

That's a damn shame too. Houston is a huge city with a hell of a lot going on. There's no reason for that not to be one of the top 10 papers in the U.S. (even if it gets hot enough there in the summer to melt steel)

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I doubt it. Hearst is privately held, has a monopoly in Houston, also owns Beaumont and San Antonio as well as some farther-away Texas papers, and just invested a ton of money in helping Singleton buy a bunch of KR papers from McClatchy. Selling makes zero sense.

6. schrdp2002

schrdp2002 Member

Can we get a source on this rumor?

7. Houston

Houston New Member

Yep. That's true.

Dallas' and SA's papers pretty much make the Chronicle look like a laughingstock.

8. Why is it bad?

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Here is one example.
    The Chronicle ran a graphic with the times, dates and places for the state championship football games all week. It included the six-man state championship games. Only problem was, the six-man state championship games were played Dec. 16.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

It's more than just the details. It doesn't help that Houston is a poor sports town, with low levels of interest for its pro teams, zero-interest colleges and, for Texas, less passion for high schools. The main columnist is not that great, and the overall look is old and uninspiring. The readership doesn't seem to demand much better, either. But it would take a lot for Hearst to give up a one-paper metro market.

11. bballscribe

bballscribe Member

Bingo. The sports interest is so apathetic here. I don't know what the deal is, or why, but Dallas and SA puts us to shame. Hell, Austin deserves pro teams more than we do.

12. Why would a big city like Houston only be able to support one paper? How does a city that large become a one-paper town?

(I ask in general, not specifically about Houston, but feel free to talk about Houston if it's an instructive example.)

Draft saved Draft deleted