1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Housing question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boobie Miles, May 15, 2007.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Here's the situation: I'm about to move into a two-family house with my girlfriend, we're both in our mid-20s. The landlords live upstairs (it's a couple and their grown son, who I think is a few years younger than us). Everything about the place is is great, nice place, nice neighborhood, good rent, family seems very cool. One issue, and it's not a big deal at all, but just something I'd like some input on because I've never lived in a multi-family house: what's the deal on using the yard and pool? I'm not looking for what's my legal rights because they mentioned in passing that we were free to use the pool. My question is more on what's socially acceptable. I'm sure they use it a lot in the summer and I don't want to have guests (not talking huge parties or anytihng) and have them feel like we're intruding on their time, and if I have guests I don't want them to feel uncomfortable using the pool. I just feel like it'd be awkward to plan a cook-out for some Saturday afternoon only to have them having planned one as well. I'm sure this will work itself out in time as we get more comfortable there, but just looking for some input.

And before the refrain of just ask them begins... I plan to, I just wanted some input from the estimable minds of SportsJournalists.com before doing so.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I would feel comfortable with it -- from both ends -- as long as it was fairly low-key. You know. You, the wife and another couple.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me ... but I could never live in an arrangement like that. I just like a tad bit more privacy than that.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm with you, 2mcm. However, I could handle it if I had to.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Why not just ask them and set the parameters?

6. pallister

pallister Guest

I rented the upstairs of a house from an older couple years ago. My brother had rented there previously so they knew me pretty well and they were the nicest people, even inviting me to eat dinner with them often. But in the almost two years I was there, I think I stepped foot in their backyard once. Not because I wasn't welcomed, but because it felt uncomfortable to pass the time in someone else's yard, even though they wouldn't have had a problem with it. But that's just me.

7. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Just ask the landlord about it. Tell them your concerns, they would probabl appreciate it.

Oh, and make sure nobody makes No. 2 in the pool.

[​IMG]

Doodie!

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Maybe if you look out your bathroom window, this is what you'll see at the pool:

[​IMG]

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Just make sure that grown son doesn't look out the bathroom window at your wife while she's in the pool. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted