1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hotter 'n hell...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jun 28, 2013.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. And it's not a marathon, as in 26.2 miles. More like 135.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Blazing heat /Bitter cold: and it's not even close.

3. House M.D.

House M.D. Guest

Unusually hot where I live, too. I'm convinced we're hurtling toward the sun.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I lived in Fort Lauderdale for five years, so I figured I knew what "hot" was. Wrong. Then I moved to Dallas, where our first summer there we had something like 69 days in a row of 100+, including 55 in a row. If, by some chance, I'm sentenced to eternal damnation, I'll be prepared simply because I've lived in Dallas.

But good luck to those going through this who aren't used to it.

5. Please. I just flew in from Vegas (and boy, are my arms tired [/rimshot]) and when I left, it was 115 degrees. It was downright cool here in DFW -- less than 100.

And I'm convinced Columbia, S.C., is the hottest place on the face of the earth. I have less trouble with the 105-degree days here than the 92-degree, 93 percent-humidity days I suffered through there.

6. MileHigh

I've lived in SoCal (and dealing with this crap here this weekend) and in South Florida. I'll take this stuff here and put up with it over the constant heat and humidity of SoFla. Both suck, majorly, but this extreme heat in SoCal is the lesser of two evils, but not by much. Frankly, I'd rather find Option 3.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

They ended up calling it off, though, right?

8. MileHigh

What, this year's race? It's not this weekend. It's mid-July.
    It's already hit 130 in Death Valley today.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Dry heat, heat and humidity? It's all hot, any way you slice it. If I ever go to Vegas, it sure as hell isn't going to be during the summer.

10. I can't imagine them calling off the Badwater Ultra. The race bills itself as "The World's Toughest Foot Race," and its website calls it "the most demanding and extreme running race offered anywhere on the planet."

The heat is part of the deal. Also from the website: "this legendary event pits up to 100 of the world's toughest athletes — runners, triathletes, adventure racers and mountaineers — against one another and the elements. Covering 135 miles (217km) non-stop from Death Valley to Mt. Whitney, CA in temperatures up to 130F (55c)..."

Pretty sure they know what they signed up for.

http://www.badwater.com/

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Umm, did you you not read the part about where the Marathon ends? March or April would likely mean finishing in snow. The whole unique point of that Marathon is how much altitiude and climate change it covers in such a short distance. Only the beginning occurs in searing Death Valley heat, then it gets progressively cooler as they ascend.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I did Vegas to Dallas a few years ago. The humidity in the Metroplex made me want to go right back to the desert.

Draft saved Draft deleted