1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hotmail problems?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, Mar 16, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Also, and these are my favorite parts of gmail:

1. It stacks your conversation in one line in your inbox. So if 2much and I exchange 47 e-mails just by hitting reply, it will take up one line of my inbox list, and it would just say "2much, me (47)" and then when I click on it, the whole list is there, windowshaded, in order. Easier than trying to find an e-mail when others have e-mailed you in between.

2. The search function. if I'm looking for a certain e-mail, I can pick one word out, pop it into the search box up top, and it will pull up the e-mails that have that word. Makes it MUCH easier to find the one I'm looking for without having to try to remember approximately when it was sent.

3. Chat. Sweet, sweet gmail chat. Anyone else who's on your contact list and is logged on at the time, you can drop a real-time chat to. It pops up small in the gmail window, but you can also pop it out and it's like messenger. Plus, it will also archive that conversation as if it were an e-mail, or you can go 'off the record' and it won't.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Huh. All these features with gmail and I didn't accept either invite from my friend. I should have.

But here's why I stick with hotmail:
    1) All my contacts are there.
    2) It's connected to MSN Messenger
    3) I can't be bothered to explain to friends and family I have new e-mail address.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I've had hotmail forever and have never had an issue with it, including getting only the rarest of spam (like maybe one every three months.)

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I was thinking that, too. I seriously can't remember getting spam. I mean, I get the stupid Facebook requests, but they come from contacts and friends, and I just delete the requests.

Other than those, nothing.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The process of letting everyone know my e-mail address is changed -- after nearly six years -- is more than enough for me not to switch.

I would also have to a) be having a constant series of problems with Hotmail, and I've never had any; and b) see a huge upgrade in the new program, for me to think about switching.

As for taglines, I would question the judgment of anyone who thinks you're less professional because MSN sticks a two-line house ad at the end of your e-mail.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hmm. This is the second time in less than a month that I can't access Hotmail. Last time it was only for an hour or two. This time, it's been at least 9 hours.

It says "Windows Live ID is not available from this site." I tried to sign in thru MSN.com and thru Hotmail.com. No dice. Sent a note to MSN, but haven't heard back (I can access Hotmail thru my phone, but not on the computer. Kind of a pain in the ass, though.)

Anybody else having problems with Hotmail all day?

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Nope. Just checked mine about an hour ago.

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I went and checked out gmail when it came off beta testing, but I have about 900 people in my Hotmail address book and use that uber-level of spam filtering. I get about 100 spam a day but don't flinch.

Main part about staying is the fact that I got my hotmail username 10 years ago. It's nice and simple. When I tried to get the same name on gmail I had to include my full name, a bunch of underscores just to avoid it having a three-digit number. I'm no John Smith but it's amazing how quick the good usernames get snapped up.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Funny. I signed up for Gmail today -- although I can't import my contacts or forward my Hotmail because of aforementioned problems ::) -- and got my same simple address without any problems. If I can ever get anything transferred over to Gmail, then I might start using it regularly.

(Seems my earlier problem is only happening on Firefox. I'm not having problems accessing Hotmail on IE. Although I still can't import to Gmail on IE, either. Not sure why that is.)

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No problems logging in here.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Nor for I.

Draft saved Draft deleted