1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hotel in Oakland/San Fran advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SnoopyBoy, Oct 7, 2006.

1. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

I'm covering the ALCS. Will staying in San Francisco be too much hassle? I'm already flying in there. What's best way to get to Coliseum from San Fran? Should I rent a car?

2. Stupid

Stupid Member

Depending on what times the games are (early, I presume, because of TV), it's probably easier just to take BART, which has a stop at the Coliseum. Where in SF are you staying? Downtown?

Also, BART goes to both the Oakland and SF airports so you could avoid renting a car and trying to navigate in a strange place.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

Echo the BART approach. Bus from Oakland airport connects to Coliseum BART station, and there are many stops and hotel options along the routes.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Echo from me, too.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The SF Airport Marriott is a nice enough place. I'll be staying there later this year. But I would think it would be cooler to stay close to the Wharf. Where ever, just make sure that it's a Marriott property for the points. That's rule No. 1 in the sportswriting business.

6. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

I think Marriot Fisherman's Wharf is where I'm at

7. old_tony

Well, damn, Snoop, I wouldn't change a thing. But as far as the rental car, It's only worthwhile I think if you get parking passes for the game. Otherwise, take cabs to and from the games and shuttles to and from the airport.

8. If you are downtown, then I think you are already at the right place.

Just to echo what someone else wrote, I've stayed at the SFO Airport Marriott several times, and have always found it to be a real good place, not to mention close to the aiport if you've got an early flight home.

If you are at the Airport Marriott, there's some bonus information: There's a Max's Opera House only a few blocks away that is usually open pretty late. The Millbrae Pancake House is a good breakfast, and the Pez Museum is only two miles away.

9. Stupid

Stupid Member

That's an expensive cab ride from the Wharf to the Coliseum. If your shop will pay for it, go ahead but it's much cheaper to take a quick cab to Embarcadero BART and ride that over. Of course, traveling with a laptop is worth taking the cab if you're going to be out late at night.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Hotel Durant in downtown Berkeley. Nice bar, funky place. Not overly fancy but certainly acceptable. quick drive down 880.

Oakland Airport Hilton on Herberger isn't bad, either, very close to the stadium.

11. Stupid

Stupid Member

If you stay on Hegenberger, don't eat at the Denny's there.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/08/OAKSLAY.TMP

12. old_tony

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking "San Francisco, SBC Park" not Oakland. Rent the car and drive to the games. I've stayed at that Oakland Airport Hilton a bunch of times and the sports bar (I forget the name) was a good post-game place. It should be even better post-game with the games being about 5 local time. Still, the Marriott points are key in any decision. And if the games are going to be over early anyway, why not be at the Wharf? Rent the car. But stay at that Mariott Fisherman's Wharf.

Draft saved Draft deleted