1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Oct 29, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Jurrjens is a legit top-flight pitching prospect.

I know nothing about Gorkys Hernandez.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Jurrjens had five or six innings of no-hit ball this season.

Braves are dumping salary. Maybe to pay for Teixeira. It sure as hell ain't for Rodriguez.

3. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Nevermind my last post. If Jurrjens is a legit prospect, then it's fine. I forgot the Braves had Martin Prado, who hit .300 in AAA ball last year and played up with the big club some, and Yunel Escobar, who was very solid in his ML experience and hit .333 in Richmond.

Both are middle infielders.

So it's likely that one of them -- most likely Escobar -- takes over at short. If Prado can play, Kelly Johnson could move back to left and Willie Harris to center if the Braves want to spend all their money on pitching. It would be a softer lineup, for sure, but it may work.

Lee, I know it's not for A-Rod. I was responding to spnited's "Do they need a 30 million dollar shortstop" quip.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sorry, I was in the reading room.

5. Turbo

Turbo Guest

Don't forget, the Braves have Yunel Escobar ready to go at short. He was impressive filling in at 3B, SS and 2B.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was settled before this move. They've been exploring options at shortstop, but Guillen was moving and Casey was moving out no matter what.

I like this one for both teams. Detroit gets a good all-around shortstop to take Guillen's place. Atlanta trades from a position of stregth to add a major-league ready pitching prospect and clears salary in the process.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Boy, you leave for 20 minutes to interview a Juco coach and the Tigers trade for Renteria.

Forget what I said about bringing ARod to Detroit. Way to make me look like an idiot Dombrowski. I think I like the deal, though. Anyone have any idea how long Renteria is on the hook?

re: Gorkys Hernandez. I believe he's about 20 and one of the Tigers' top low-minor outfield prospects.

Edit: Renteria is on the books for 9 million in 08 and has a 12 million club option for 09.

And, the Freep's John Lowe says Hernandez was one of the top four prospects in the organization.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I hate to see Renteria go, because he was easily the Braves' most consistent hitter until he got hurt, but I think this deal is part of a larger plan for Atlanta.

And that plan is: pitching, pitching, pitching. Or, it better be.

If they re-sign Tex, and possibly Torii Hunter, the offense will be fine assuming normal production (and ... as always ... the health of Chipper.) I like Escobar at short; he's got a lot to learn but he could be very good. If not, the Braves have a few other high-level infield prospects to plug in, like Prado, Brent Lillibridge and J.C. Holt.

Kelly Johnson stays at second, Matt Diaz in left. Maybe Hernandez -- the Class A Midwest League MVP at age 19 this year -- will be ready in a year. A lot of good people are saying a lot of good things about him today.

But now, they look for pitching ...

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'll just throw this out there for anyone not 3,000 miles from Cleveland --- Any rumblings on what the Indians might do? Their biggest need seems to be in LF, but what can they reasonably get there?

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Hey Buck, is Renteria still a good defensive shortstop, or is he past his prime?

This trade is probably good for the Tigers now, but in a few years...I'm worried about the whole John Smoltz thing all over. And Gorkys sounds like he might even be the bigger prize...54 steals and two GIDPs.

I really thought Jurrjens was gonna start next season. So, are the Tigers gonna be in the market for a starter now?

Verlander, Bonderman, Robertson and two maybes (Rogers and Miller).

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Joe Nathan won't be going anywhere, Twins picked up his option.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/10/29/nathan.option.ap/index.html

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That was a done deal, but glad to see it finalized.

Of guys not named Papelbon, he's who I'd want.

Draft saved Draft deleted