1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Oct 29, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's time. Former Twin Bobby Kielty has won the World Series with a pinch-hit home run, so we move to talk of trades and free agents until, blessedly, pitchers and catchers report.

Who signs ARod? Torii Hunter? Andruw Jones? All three are pretty much locks to be in new uniforms next spring.

2. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

--A-Rod will land in Anaheim, or whatever they call themselves these days.

--Not sure where Andruw goes. Traditionally, he's the type of guy the Yanks, Cubs or Sox would overspend for, but all of them are set in CF. He'd almost be a waste of money at DH, especially in the smallish Yankee Stadium outfield.

--Hunter, somehow, actually ends up in Washington. And he'll kick-start a franchise with a new stadium, much like Ivan Rodriguez did in Detroit.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Torii's an interesting case, because I do think he really wants to win a world championship, and, at the same time, he really does have philanthropic goals he'd like to achieve.

One thing that gets overlooked with him, though, is that he's more of a free swinger than the Yankees or Red Sox generally like. I still think, though, that he'd put up pretty good numbers in a deep lineup. Whereas, if he goes to some place like Washington and is expected to carry the middle of the lineup, I think he'll struggle a bit more.

Anyway, I'll wish him well wherever he ends up.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I could see Hunter playing for the 'Nats I guess, but he has indicated in the past that he'd like to play for his hometown Rangers, and seeing as they definitely need a CF, I could certainly see that happening.

Especially considering their now off the hook for A-Rod...

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Cubs aren't set in CF but I don't see them signing Jones. Hunter maybe but not Jones.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think he might be a very good fit there. Could hit five or six in that lineup.

I'm really having trouble puzzling out where Jones ends up. There just isn't an obvious fit out there.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I agree, Zeke. A buddy and I were trying to figure out where Jones could possibly land yesterday and we couldn't really come up with anything.

Baltimore seems to waste money. Who is its centerfielder?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There's a good reason for that. He was awful in 2007, but he's probably going to expect big money. Makes him a very tough fit.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I've heard McPhail wants to dump Tejada in B-more. He may not be a great SS anymore, but he's still a darn good player.

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

BoSox better re-sign Mike Lowell. And not think for a second of signing Mr. Rodriguez.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Theo has given every indication that they wil re-sign him. And methinks they won't touch A-Rod.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think you really reach the point of diminishing returns with ARod.

He's the best bat in baseball, but $30 million a year? Damn, that's some coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted