1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove, part 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Dec 13, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, by the time this contract is up, the jury should be in on his power numbers.

As I've said, I think he has the best eye of anyone I've ever seen in person. Now, he needs to start driving the ball when he can, even if it means swinging at some pitches slightly outside the strike zone.
    He's still going to walk a ton, especially as his reputation gets out there and umpires give him the benefit of the doubt ("If it was a strike, Mr. Mauer would have swung at it...").

If his power numbers can steadily increase, he really will be something to watch.

2. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Here's my question for the day. How many home runs will Trachsel give up pitching half his games in Camden Yards?

;

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

spnited, I think that was the point of him directing that comment at you....and just for the sake of piling on, I already have Mauer in a keeper league. Lucky me.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Considering that he's going to face the Yankees, Red Sox and Blue Jays probably six times out of that 18 or so starts, a bunch.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Steve Trachsel? At Camden Yards?

How many fans will be killed by the missiles AL hitters will send screaming into the left field seats?

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Camden Yards being a hitters park is actually something of a fallacy. Last year its park rating was 99 (over 100 favors batters; Arizona was a 107 last year). In 2005 the Park Factor was 94. In fact, since 1996, only once has the Park Factor been over 100 (104 in 2004).

The Mets' Park Factor last year was 95 and Trachsel allowed 23 homers (12 coming at Shea). So I think you'd see similar numbers in '07, at least at home. Obviously facing an extra hitter every game (DH in lieu of a pitcher) might cause a slight spike as well.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!

Hold on.

HAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAH!!!

[/bitterfuckinglongtimeO'sfan]

(Not a stab at you, casty).

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

And then theres the Chan Ho Park Factor ...

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Seriously, if Trachsel spends the full season in the rotation, he might flirt with a 10.00 ERA. The guy had a K/BB ratio of almost exactly 1-to-1 in the NL. It's difficult to fathom a guy like that pitching in the AL East.

I can't believe they gave him $3 mil. Three mil to a guy who had NO nibbles this winter. You keep on keepin on, Petey.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And meanwhile, Jon Lieber remains a Phillie. Won't someone hurry up and overpay already?

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I bet Trachsel wins 10 games.

12. I'd take that action.

Draft saved Draft deleted