1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove, part 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Dec 13, 2006.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Well, don't forget to add the $51 million they had to pay just to talk to him .. so the Red Sox cost is actually much higher. No pressure there. Nope.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Sure sounds like Boras blinked.

And I haven't seen that much of them, but 6 months ago had you asked me would you rather take a flyer on Meche or Piniero, I'd have had to think about it.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Worst deal...of the day.

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Reports out of Toronto say the Jays have offered Vernon Wells a 7-year, $126M extension. Apparently Ricciardi confirms an offer has been made, but the numbers are coming from an unnamed source.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

That's a preemptive strike for the Jays. $18 million in a couple of years will likely be seen as a bargain for Wells considering the current market.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I heard Peter Gammons on the local ESPN radio talk show around 5:30 p.m. At that time, ESPN.com had Wells signing the extension. Gammons said that wasn't right and he had talked to the Jays' GM a couple hours earlier and was set to talk to Wells' agent tomorrow.

By the end of the interview, the story on ESPN.com had changed from Wells signing the extension to a report about the Jays offering it. Peter Gammons HAD SPOKEN! hehe

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Great nick there.....

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

They are essentially the same guys. Good stuff, no command and seem to have a gift for putting the ball in just the right spot to be hit very, very hard.

BTW, the Mariners continue to put together the worst offseason in the bigs, dealing Chris Snelling and Emiliano Fruto for Jose Vidro. Like the Soriano deal a week ago, Fruto is another potential closer with mid-90s gas. I think Bill Bavasi is planning a murder and is trying to build up the basis for an insanity defense.

9. outofplace

Have there been any rumors about the Red Sox trying to get Mike Gonzalez from the Pirates. I heard Coco Crisp, but that was more for Solomon Torres.

I know the Yankees and Braves are both supposedly talking to the Pirates about Gonzalez as a set-up guy, but you'd think he would be attractive to Boston, which has no closer right now.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

A lefty closer in Boston?

11. outofplace

I posted this a moment ago saying we should give the Yankees credit for chutzpah. I just saw a report that they offered Carl Pavano to the Mariners for Richie Sexson.

I know Sexson has some holes in his game, but at least he has actually played the last two seasons. Sheesh.

Then I checked out the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette online. The Indians asked about Mike Gonzalez and the Pirates asked for Victor Martinez straight up.

Ok, which of those offers was worse?

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I'm going to guess that the Yankees offer was based on the poor moves that Seattle has made thus far.

Draft saved Draft deleted