1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot 'Lanta for the weekend

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Aug 14, 2011.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

This weekend is my birthday weekend (Sunday, to be exact), and Mrs. t_b_f and I are headed to Atlanta.

It's been way too long since we've been. Haven't been since our first wedding anniversary in 2000. Watched UCLA kill what looked to be a promising Alabama season in about two drives.

I have to work the graveyard shift Wednesday, and we're catching a Lookouts game Thursday in Chatanooga.

We'll head into Atlanta on Friday and hit the Sweet Auburn district and check out some MLK/Civil Rights history.

We're hitting the Braves/D'backs game Friday night, and that's pretty much where the schedule ends.

IJAG gave us some restaurant/bar/sightseeing recommendations, and I'd like to hear from the rest of yous guys.

What should we do and where should we eat? We're up for anything.

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Ha! IJAG recommendations? I scoff! She couldn't even decide on LUNCH the other day.

She'll recommend Six Feet Under, though. And so do I.

3. three_bags_full

Yep. She sure did. It's on the list.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm not THAT predictable! (OK, so I am)

You know I like the area where you're staying, especially the shopping. And you guys can come see my new house if I close Wednesday like I'm supposed to. :D

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Oh hells yes! Party at jags!

T_b_f, have you bought bravo tix yet?

I think I can maybe swing some...let me check...

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I still have my full book of Braves vouchers if you guys want those.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

We always Hotwire a room right down town that is within walking distance of all the major stuff there Coke/CNN/arena/Hard Rock and a MARTA stop that takes you to the Underground where you transfer to a bus that goes to Turner Field. IMO, the only way to go to a Braves game.

Go to Stone Mountain.

While in Chattanooga, the baseball stadium is kind of across the street/corner from Sticky Fingers which is good ribs. There are also several places right around the Aquarium to eat/drink. (BTW, the Harley store in Chattanooga - Thunder Creek - is up at about Exit 7 on 75 and has some nice t-shirts, but I guess you'll be entering town from Nashville so you really won't go past it.)

8. three_bags_full

I just bought some, actually. Damnit.

9. Eat at Vortex in Atlanta. Those places are ridiculously great for burgers. It's 18-and-up, though, so I haven't been able to go with the kid in tow for a couple years. Be sure to post a picture of your meal and a description so I may live vicariously through you if you go.

I think the Chattanooga Aquarium is way underrated. I'm a big fan of aquariums and have been to the ones in Tampa and Atlanta many times and been to just about ever large aquarium up the East Coast, and I think Chattanooga deserves to be ranked up there with the best of them and the most unique because of the emphasis it puts on freshwater species.

10. Shoeless Joe

Unless it's changed, the Tennessee Aquarium is set up as a tour of Tennessee. You start with the fish and other creatures in the mountain streams of East Tennessee and progress to the Mississippi.

11. three_bags_full

We probably won't do too much Thursday night in Chattanooga. I won't get off work until about 0900 on Thursday morning. I'll grab a few hours of sleep before we head out. We're losing an hour, too, making it a little tougher. I won't pass up a chance at a Harley shirt. Never do.

12. Shoeless Joe

Nope. I got a cool one last Saturday over in Cherokee. (typed as I sit wearing one I got in Murfreesboro back in the spring!)

Draft saved Draft deleted