1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Horrible economic news. This makes me sad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 19, 2011.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

UBS Bonuses at Risk as $2.3 Billion Trading Loss Erases Profit

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-09-18/ubs-bonuses-at-risk-as-2-3-billion-trading-loss-erases-profit.html

I'm worried about them retaining their best and brightest.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I really feel sorry for their maids and gardeners, who obviously are going to need to take pay cuts. We all must share the sacrifice.

Job creators!

3. Why do bad things happen to RICH people??!!

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Think of the children!! They need their Christmas gifts this year!!!!!!!

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The super-rich laugh and laugh at the struggles of the merely rich. A bonus? "Ha ha," laugh the super-rich. "Ha-ha."

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

CLASS WARFARE!!!11!!

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

When Howard Beale hears of this, he'll be mad as hell and won't take it anymore.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Hysterical stuff. Some idiot creates more than $2 billion in losses that will cause more layoffs, on top of the 5,000 employees who lost their jobs this summer because the company was already looking at a loss for the year. And that second-year analyst earning $75K, who was hoping for another $15K from the bonus pool won't be seeing it--if his job is still there on Monday. Fuck him. Let's all have a laugh over it. It's almost as funny as those saps who got screwed by Bernie Madoff. Ha ha to them too.

Forget the bonus pool, which is probably going to be entirely clawed back. Thousands of people--you know, the types with mortgages and food bills and kids--are going to be losing their jobs soon. Not everyone at UBS is an MD pulling down $180K. Not that that guy losing his bonus, and possibly his job, is all that funny, anyhow.

This board has some seriously miserable fucks. Imagine how you'd feel if there was a message board full of jackals somewhere making jokes about the layoffs at the LA Times.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So what special skills do these geniuses bring that they got hoodwinked at a time when their only, only, ONLY function was "make sure you don't get hoodwinked"?

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I expect if they eliminated the bonuses of the highest-paid 20 or so employees, who are earning more than enough money to get by with two houses, a yacht and five cars, they'd have enough to pay the bonuses of those poor schleps struggling to get by at $75 K in their second year as an analyst.

More than 220,000 teachers have lost their jobs this year, 90 percent of them could only dream of making $75K, and they actually make a difference in someone's lives. I'll save my sympathy for them, even if they're evil because they're public employees who belong to a union, not some group of speculators/hedge fund managers/market manipulators.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

"These genuises"? You are clueless. UBS is more than inept management team. It employees between 50,000 and 70,000 people worldwide. Like the programmer who earns $73K and is going to be losing his job next month. Or the financial advisor who earns $66K and won't be getting that bonus he was hoping for. Or the business banking advisor who earns $80K and is sweating his job today. Or the HR person who earns $75K and may or may not have a job next month. And that senior fixed income analyst who earns $100K and won't be seeing a bonus, which was a significant portion of his expected compensation.

Funny fucking stuff. I'll put the over / under at another 5,000 layoffs announced within the next month. Do you want to organize the party?

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Big deal. They can always get on at Subway and learn the vendors.

Draft saved Draft deleted