1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Horrible day in Louisville

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Jun 10, 2014.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'm not there, and I didn't see it on here so sorry if it's been posted, but bloodletting at the Courier-Journal today.

Managing editor, metro editor, multimedia editor and others part of the layoffs ...

http://insiderlouisville.com/business/c-j-metro-editor-booting-first-many-today/

Can't imaging going forward without that level of management in place. Sounds like a textbook salary dump.

Godspeed to those laid off and everyone else at the C-J.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's Gannett for you...

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

From Romenesko, about the metro editor:

Staffers – current and former – are stunned by his ouster.

One writes: “The guy has been an unbelievable workhorse for the last decade. He regularly put in 12-hour days and had by far the biggest plate of responsibilities in the newsroom. As the staff shrank over the last 7-8 years, he kept taking on more duties and never complained about dwindling resources. He was loyal above all. It’s a shocking decision.”

Another email: “We are devastated at the CJ. They laid off our beloved metro editor, the only person who held our newsroom together. I am just devastated.”

Gannett shooting itself in the ass again. Do More With Less!TM

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

This is where I miss that Gannett blog.

5. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

This is where I DON'T miss working for Gannett.

6. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Yep on Gannett. Wasn't a good sign when Cincy had layoffs last month.
    Said then I wondered what it meant for Louisville, Indy.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Never worked for Gannett. Never wanted to.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"This will not affect front-line reporters or journalists covering beats," tone-deaf marketing director said.

No, I bet those reporters will not be affected at all by losing tremendous editors and librarians.

9. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/money/2014/06/10/c-j-lays-managing-editor-others-news/10301117/

How do you increase focus on delivering news digitally by getting rid of your multimedia manager?

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Like hiring freezes in Indy?

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

These people need to learn that "smaller than forecast revenue" is all that should be said. Nothing said after that ever makes sense or makes anyone feel better.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'll just say that I opened the original link after reading this, just to find out who this great editor was. Consider it my tip of the cap to you, Mike.

I'm so sorry to all who are impacted, both now on the outside, looking in, and those still there.

Draft saved Draft deleted