1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hoping for some parking ticket legal help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RedHotChiliPrepper, Oct 29, 2009.

1. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Actually, states used to write this crap off up to a certain amount, but since states have had such low tax revenue lately, many of them are putting out warrants and unpaid judgments to get their money.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

you all ought to be ashamed....
    It's a three-footer, people...

[​IMG]

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Consult an attorney. If money is an issue, consult one in your state's Legal-Aid Society (Network, etc.).

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Someone has a copy of your plate.

PA only requires one plate displayed on the back of the car. Did the DMV send you two and you threw one out maybe?

I'm guessing someone, somewhere has your exact plate.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Definitely fight it. If the car does return to NYC, prepare to be fucked.

I got some tickets in 2003, which I thought were bogus. But when was I ever going to be in New York again? Well, I moved there a year later. Thought I'd have some time to settle the debts. My first night in the city, parked the car on the Upper West Side. Came out the next morning...gone. It was stolen! Except, it wasn't. Had been towed. To Brooklyn. With the fees and the towing cost...800 bucks to get it back. Only cash. So I had to borrow 800 dollars cash from the girl I'd just moved in with. She is now my wife so she didn't hold it against me but it wasn't the best situation. Two months later I ended up selling the car - a 98 Cavalier, 120,000 miles on it - for $500. New York was kicking my ass.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sell the car.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Your going to spend $100 in gas, spend six hours on the road and all day in court to dispute $500?
    If you can't fix it over the phone, you're screwed. The gas cost to go to court is going to be 20 percent of the whole enchilada. Throw in court costs if you lose.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

As someone with a wee bit of experience with parking tickets/towing in NYC. ...

First, don't consult a lawyer. The Department of Finance here is like a giant game of Let's Make a Deal, and you can play the part of the contestant yourself just as effectively without a lawyer. They collect such a small percentage of what they ticket that they play the game like they are just happy to get anything.

Second, did they send copies of the actual summonses? If so, can you give more info -- what the violations were. I might have some suggestions if I know more. Check the summonses carefully. The smallest things will get a ticket dismissed here. If they put the wrong color of the car or a wrong description or the officer forgot to sign it or the writing is illegible enough for there to be even the slightest doubt. They dismiss rather easily. ...they also count on most people not challenging their tickets. So challenge it.

Third, do not come all the way to NYC for this. Presumably they provided the info with the summonses they sent, but NYC allows you to fight tickets online -- and it is just as effective as showing up in court. They actually prefer you do it that way, and just for challenging a ticket, they will immediately send you an offer to settle for less, even with the shakiest argument -- in my experience, this is the automatic response. It doesn't matter if you are actually guilty or challenging an unfair ticket. Their first response is a letter offering to settle for less.

I can't remember the website offhand, but if you don't have it, I will dig it out for you. There is no cost to doing it online. And you can submit whatever you want as part of an argument. I'd start that way -- don't ignore it, because they will start adding interest, but stall and fight it. Ask for a copy of the actual summons if they didn't send it. They have to provide it. Ask for an explanation of the summons once you get it, and request more info. Then when you have all the info, make your argument, the way you made it here. Be creative if you can. Get copies of credit card bills or receipts showing you made purchases near where you live at the times they ticketed you, if you can. It's not proof positive that someone else didn't have your car parked therd, but challenging tickets is the key here. I've had a lot of success in getting them dismissed (even with shaky arguments) or at least getting an offer to settle for a lot less than the original fine. You just have to challenge them really.

Draft saved Draft deleted