1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hopefuly baseless speculation: Could the New Yorker fold?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I can't believe this would ever happen but who the hell knows these days. Reason they give here is the ad pages plummeting of course. Conde Naste just closed Domino yesterday, which surprised many because it seemed like it was a fairly healthy title.

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/magazines/will_the_new_yorker_fold_next_107145.asp

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Hell, I hope not. Just started subscribing, and am enjoying it thoroughly.

Fascinating pieces every week.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

New Yorker is one of the last to go.. even SI won't kill it...

4. Jeebus fucking Christmas.
    I don't think I want to be in a business that will support ESPN The Magazine, but not The New Yorker.

5. Probably worth remembering here that The New Yorker has always lost money. Always. In its 80 years, it's turned a profit in perhaps 10. And most of those very recently, under Brown and then Remnick. Newhouse would sell the building before he'd kill that title. There's plenty of awful stuff to trim at CN before they get anywhere near core products like NYer or Vogue.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd be grateful if The New Yorker just took a break so I could catch up. I just threw away all the unread 2006 issues. Working on 2007/08. Don't tell me who won the primaries.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm like that with The Economist.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I love The New Yorker.
    I love New York.

Maybe I should cross-thread and put that on my 25 Random Things list.

9. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Man, ain't that the truth. The covers look nice, though, all stacked up nice and neat in the bathroom.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So what would happen if they went bi-weekly?

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hey wait a second Fenian, last month when I dared to question the caliber of ESPN the Mag and whether it was worthy of a writer the likes of Jones, both you and Jmac were apoplectic at my idea.

In fact jmac got so upset he took his toys and went away. We've not seen him since.

Are you now agreeing with me that ESPN is not the New Yorker?

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If the New Yorker can't draw advertisers, no one should be able to. I haven't looked at it in a while. But, it used to have some of the choicest readership demographics on earth. Highly educated, high salaried people, and they were actually growing their base every year a few years ago. They had been expanding their reach with more and more readers on the West Coast.

The magazine spent way too much under Tina Brown and its excesses made it unprofitable, but that had gotten under control with Remnick and it was making money a few years ago. That little in ad pages is never a good thing, but it also had one advantage that insulates it a little. I can't remember the exact numbers, but it had some of the most ridiculously loyal subscribers in the world. People just automatically resubscribe without them having to spend a lot to get the subscriptions. They have about a million readers and a large percentage have been getting it most of their lives. I don't know how things look right now, but they used to save a lot on circulation-development costs a lot of magazines get killed on.

Still, that few ad pages is never a good thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted