1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hope this can stay up....I like the intention between these two congressmen.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jan 18, 2011.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Beautiful.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But aren't we already into 2011 or do you operate on a fiscal year?

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

It's pretty easy to change positions early on, Boom.

4. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

Jon Stewart: "How many of us have to get shot for Congress to go to lunch together?"

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would have suggested "That's what Friends are For"

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Once you commit I don't think the IRS allows for change.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't understand why they all don't sit together -- once they are elected that is -- and hug and kiss and squeeze and share Ritz crackers. I understand the making the false distinctions when they are fighting to get elected, so they can pander to people for votes. But once they are in there, isn't it better to be in cahoots, so they can work the lobbyists and special interests from both ends--how about a good cop / bad cop act for the ones that resist? Or is it that they secretly do that (after all, they are all taking money from the same places), yet publicly still put on the dog-and-pony show to pretend that there are really any real differences.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The answer might be here:

http://www.economist.com/node/11581447

You've probably heard the term "The Big Sort." It's a theory that we are segregating ourselves more by interests and politics, resulting in the election of more extreme members of Congress in a time when everyone is on permanent campaign mode. So despite what a politician might say, working with the other side isn't a show of strength -- it's a show of weakness. And the more extreme the rhetoric, the better.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When I was in high school, our Congressman came to our school for an assembly to discuss his job, the workings of government, etc. Someone asked him (this is the late 80s,) if they really didn't like the others across the aisle.

This Congressman, who was a liberal Dem, said that roughly 90-95 percent of the time, the congressmen are busy working together, crafting legislation, negotiating deals, sharing ideas, etc.

But he said that all people, especially the media, ever focused on was the 5-10 percent of the time that there was conflict, and that he wished the public would have known about how much they were serving the public.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely. I have posted multiple times on here when people get into the stupid "Repub" "Demo" arguments that it is ALL rhetoric. The end game, depending on the participant, is $$ or a power trip--or both. And what you get in the end, despite the rhetoric, is exactly the same. Those with the money to buy favors, buy them. There are no Mr. Smiths in Washington. Just people taking envelopes. The rhetoric is just about getting elected, and it's amazing how few people understand how meaningless it is.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Yeah, hard to get worked up about them sitting together. Get back to us when they're working on something of substance together, rather than declaring their victory over fear of partisan cooties.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If this cuts down on the stupid, orchestrated standing o's, or nays in opposition, the speech will be about four minutes long.
    I wonder why they don't just seat legislators by state delegation or some other way. I was stunned to learn that legislators camp out on the center aisle all day so they can get some screen time with the Prez, maybe have him sign a copy of the speech. Hard to believe they don't have something better to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted