1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hope for print?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Going back to visit my folks next week and I always enjoy wallowing in their newspaper deliveries. Two weeklies. Three dailies. (including yours, Kato). Each morning, by the time I'm done with all of them, my fingers are covered in ink.

Sort of a sidebar on democratization, but with books, it seems readers are also regaining an appreciation for the role gatekeepers play in the industry. The self-publishing craze has subsided a bit, one reason being there was just so much out there -- some of it good, a lot of it horrific -- that readers do understand that agents and editors at traditional publishers play a role in the quality of books (yes, a lot of crap books are still published traditionally).

As the spouse of an agent, I'm hoping print books continue their comeback. #advances

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

The second part, and the idea that you might not know you'd care to read something are the reasons I still believe in the newspaper. And I think its demise will be bad for society in the long run. I read stories every day in the paper that I otherwise wouldn't have if it wasn't packaged the way it is. I do the same on the Interent, but it's not as easy. I think we'll definitely be less informed. Hell, it's been happening already.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

My family has never not had at least one daily paper delivered to the house. In the good old days, we had as many as five. Completely agree with the notion that we need gatekeepers to push information that we would otherwise miss out on. One of the great pleasures in my life is stopping in small towns to buy a paper and see what strangeness is going on locally.

Draft saved Draft deleted