1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Honor student's diploma withheld because crowd cheers for her

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Jun 5, 2007.

1. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

The parents were already required to sign a contract, which they presumably ignored.

2. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I assume her family signed the "contract" to be quiet during the ceremony, so they ignored the rules. It seems that almost every other students family was able to control themselves......it's too bad that Kaishas family think the rules don't apply to them.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I know you can get carried away with anything, but why is cheering your kid bad manners. Who wants to sit on their hands for three hours?

Of course, one answer is "not me" as I didn't attend my high school graduation.

4. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Because it affects other families' enjoyment of the ceremony.

And because if there were a pause for cheers after every name was called, the ceremony would last even longer than it already does.

(And, for the record, if I could have skipped my high school graduation, I would have).

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

In the first place, God created idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards.
    -- Mark Twain

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm the former Web editor of that station. I tried -- desperately -- to teach this people how to make a sentence, how to use commas, the difference between its and it's, etc. Quite frankly, if it doesn't have a spelling error, I'd be shocked.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

How many families are "enjoying" the ceremony sitting around being quiet for three hours?

It's a horse-shit policy and it's another case of a Superintendent or school board grandstanding and trying to make themselves the center of attention instead of the students.

The girl and the other kids who got denied earned their diplomas with four years of hard work. Nothing at that ceremony should change that.

As others said, it's a goddamn celebration, bitches. It's not some somber event.

Fuck them.

8. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Station is last in the market...And it shows.

9. prhack

prhack Member

I've worked in higher education for six years, and I've yet to see a college/university president, provost, etc., admonish family members for cheering their graduates. The prevailing attitude seems to be that graduation is a time worth celebrating. Why it would be different at the high school level, I haven't a clue. If I had to guess, I'd say Bigpern hit it right on the head.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Shit, I was one of the few sober grads at my ceremony. I was so bored. My dad fell asleep during the guest speaker who went on for 45 minutes, breaking in and out of French when only 12 of the 48 finished French (it was an option, can't remember what I took instead).

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The grad and the family may have signed a "contract," but I'm willing to bet it wouldn't hold up in court, should the family pursue it.

The diploma itself is of little value other than in terms of sentiment, and if the district were serious about trying to enforce this B.S. "zero tolerance" policy (there's no such thing, unfortunately...had it been the super's daughter, she'd have the diploma) they'd find some other punishment besides withholding the worthless piece of paper.

The district needs to eat crow on this one because it's bad PR all the way around and there's no way they're going to look good. No way at all.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

They should have gone with a policy that forbid horns and been done with it.

I know what the school was trying to do here but it counter-acted their aim.

I also don't understand how parents could watch all these other students walk up to the podium in silence and suddenly think that they need to be the ones to cheer.

Lots of blame to go around on this.

Draft saved Draft deleted