1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Honor student's diploma withheld because crowd cheers for her

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Jun 5, 2007.

1. KG

KG Active Member

There's just something about those two that never really mixed in the farming comunity I'm from.

2. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Mike Fields, the Lexington Herald-Leader's veteran preps writer, saw his youngest daughter graduate high school at Rupp Arena.

He was none too impressed:

http://fieldsnotes.wordpress.com/

I do like the following from Mike:

"Once the diploma roll call began, the noise level from “fans” steadily increased. When the guy behind me blasted his air horn the first time, I turned and gave him a look of disgust. He shot back something to the effect that “this is a celebration!” Right. So is a wedding, but I’ve never heard an “I do” accompanied by a clanging cow bell."

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

http://www.hoinews.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=37646

"I believe it ruined my day because I spent the whole day crying that day and I don't have no pictures to remind me of my graduation day- memories or anything like that. And I think me getting my diploma makes it a little bit better," said Nadia Trent.

::)

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Seems like school district administrators should worry about teaching the kids some grammar, not air horns.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

No, it has nothing to do with the girl taking responsibility for learning proper grammar (or even caring). It's the school district's fault. Bingo.

6. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

actually no it isn't, it's her families fault.

7. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

What I loved was after they got their diplomas the other day, a couple of them were bragging about how they got the administration to cave in after they threatened to sue.

These kids are definitely equipped for the real world.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Where did I say that? I said that school administrators should care about the grammar these kids are using. Nice waste of money for state and federal taxpayers, apparent by that girl's disrespect for the English language.

Next time you toss out a barb, stick to the facts. You're welcome.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Did the school administrators indicate that they don't care about the kids' grammar?

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

High school's not about learning, it's about showing up ... and you don't even have to show up every day. Get there three or four out of every five days and you'll make it.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yes, by letting a kid who doesn't know enough not to use double negatives at 17 or 18 even get to the graduation ceremony. I knew enough not be using sentences such as those when I was like 8.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ironically, your first sentence above also contains a double negative, wiki.

Draft saved Draft deleted