1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Honeymooners" thread ..

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by healingman, Aug 6, 2006.

1. healingman

healingman Guest

OK folks, I'm jumping into this "Anything Goes" thread stuff with this topic:

Tell me your best memories of "The Honeymooners" (episode, words, phrases, etc.) or any memories of Jackie Gleason that put a smile on your face.

I'll start: Didn't grow up watching "Honeymooners" because they weren't shown down in Texas, where I grew up. In college, I started watching "The Classic 39" as well as the "Lost" episodes (which were hidden in a vault by Gleason until Showtime came along and played "Let's Make A Deal" for the episodes). Anyway, I admit it: I got hooked. Sure, it's not "PC" to have a man threaten to punch his wife out nor threaten to send her to the moon. Yet the "walking speech," where Ralph says near the end of each episode how sorry he is and what a moax he's been for acting crazy around alice, does tug at my heart. That's when Ralph finishes saying, with Alice in his arms, "Baby, you're the greatest."

So those moments are ones that make me feel good and happy.

Plus, they're just funny episodes.

And awaaayyyyyy we go!!!!!

healingman

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Norton my friend. How would YOU like to fuck ME up the ass?

I know you been watching me Norton! And you know that I know that you know that I know...that you've been watching me! So when I bend over...START FUCKING!!!

*waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa* humana humana humana

Hey there Ralphie Boy!

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

MUAHAHAAHAHA! Delirious rocks!

4. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

It's U.S., not You Ass.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Baby, you're the greatest. And later, you're talking it A-T-M."

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ohhhhhhh, Carlos is teaching you the mambo... that puts a different light on everything... when I first came in here, I didn't know what you were doing... now I know, Carlos is teaching you the mambo... that makes a world of difference... EVERYBODY OUT.

7. Martin_Lane

Martin_Lane Member

Two come to mind quickly:

The time Ralph had to learn how to play golf, and the instruction book said to address the ball. You know what Norton said next: "Hello, ball!"

And when Ralph was on the $64,000 Question (or the equivalent show), he prepared with Norton .. and Norton played Swannie River before every song on the piano. Then when Ralph gets on the show, the first question is on Swannie River. And thanks for playing.

Brilliant stuff. Hard to believe Norton wasn't the all-time best second banana as picked by TV Guide.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The correct answer. As cleverly structured as any Seinfeld episode.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

No. 1 should have been Norton or Barney Fife.

10. "Great hell, who are you?! ... Great hell, who was that?! ... Great hell, who are you?!"
    "Humana humana ... Chef of the future!"
    "If my wife, Trixie is watching at home and says 'I told you so, I'm gonna belt her one, right in the mouth!"

I won't keep going because I might not stop ...

11. casty33

casty33 Active Member

My favorite:

RALPH: Norton, we are no longer friends. If you see me walking down the street, you go to the other side of the street.

NORTON: Ralph, when you're walking down the steet, there IS no other side of the street.

12. maberger

maberger Member

"hey ralph, mind if i smoke?"

"i don't care if you burn."

Draft saved Draft deleted