1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

hometown hero arrest

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, Oct 15, 2006.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

a hometown player who makes it to the pros and is considered a role model back home gets busted for dwi, drug possession, etc., in his pro town out of state, how do you play it in the small hometown daily? and where does the story go page-wise?

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

the only thing I can think of right now is some kind of hometown reax story. bottom of A-1, maybe, if the story's worth a damn.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

bottom a-1 or top of sports with a tease

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Front of sports, location depends on what else is playing that day

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Depends. If he got busted with one joint and has no history of run-ins with the law, a line in briefs. If he got busted with a kilo of coke and a gun, bottom of sports front. If his blood-alcohol level was .08, a line in briefs. If his blood-alcohol level was .20 and he killed someone, bottom of A-1. The "role model" thing is bullshit, I'm not putting that on anyone.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I had that situation years ago when I worked at a weekly paper. the former prep star basketball player was arrested (not for drugs or a DUI) and it made the daily papers first, of course, but when I tried to do a story for the weekly, after several calls, his only call back to me was hoping I'd cut him some slack because it had already appeared in the daily papers. I called BS on that and wrote the story and it was on the front page (it would have no matter what) of my sports section. The thing about it is that he's gone on to be a somewhat big shot in the media and it's funny to see him on our side of the biz now when he acted the way he did as a player.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Frank_Ridgeway is actually Charles Barkley.

Draft saved Draft deleted