1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homer refs at the Swamp?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportsguydave, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Which is kind of the point of why one-loss SEC teams get as much respect as they do, don't you think?

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well they did take about seven minutes reviewing that play even though it was more than clear that not only did the receiver cross the goal line, even if he didn't he fell on his own fumble so there was never a doubt about it being a touchdown of course conspiracy theorists ........

"Hello, this is Slive - no fucking way you can let that be a touchdown..."
    "Yeah, but how do we......"
    "I don't give a shit, review it, find something wrong with it....."
    "But...."
    "No but, Florida wins or you are fired....."
    "Um....."

3. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Undefeated conference champs since SEC expanded (1992):

Big Ten: 6 (Michigan, OSU, Northwestern, Iowa, Penn St.)
    ACC: 7 (every single one is Florida State)
    Big XII (only in existence since 1996): 7 (Nebraska, OU, Texas, Kansas St.)
    Big East: 7 (WVU twice and the rest are Miami)
    Pac 10: 4 (ASU, UCLA, USC)
    SEC: 6 (Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn)

FWIW, I still counted it as an undefeated season if the team that went undefeated in regular season lost in the championship game. Last year's Alabama team is the only SEC team to go undefeated in regular season and then Lose in the championship game. Interestingly enough, there have been three times that an undefeated team lost in the Big XII championship (1996 Nebraska, 1998 Kansas State, 2003 Oklahoma).

4. zagoshe

The "New Big East" has yet to have a team go through undefeated, either, so that conference must as good as the SEC........

5. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

WVU 2005

Although I guess you'll just make the same argument for the "new ACC."

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Nope. Bama did the same thing in 94 (and would have still been behind Nebraska and Penn State even if they beat Florida in the Georgia Dome). And Auburn's undefeated probation run was 93.

7. zagoshe

Of course Auburn in 1993 would have crushed Notre Dame, Nebraska and Florida State had they got the chance and Alabama would have beaten the crap out of both Nebraska and Penn State in 1994 if given the chance.....[\BTExpress and the rest of the SEC shills around here]

8. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

My bad, my bad!

9. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Actually, it was a ten yard penalty because of half the distance. Without it, UF was facing 2nd and 10 from the Arkansas 20, with it it was first and ten from their ten. I'm not sure how that call, which I agree was a very bad one, supposedly decided the game the way some people here seem to feel it did.

By the way, that call was the final penalty of the game on either team. One play later it was 20-20, and there wasn't a call at any point in the final 7:30 of the game. For those of you thinking this was a fix as opposed to the typical crappy officiating we see week in and week out in every college conference, care to explain no calls in a tie game situation where a holding could have helped one team or the other quite a bit?

10. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

You can argue that this no-call would have affected the outcome of the game:

Although it was still 3 and 10 at that point and Arkansas had the opportunity to stop them on the next play...

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Yes, I was being sarcastic.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The SEC has suspended the crew that worked Arkansas/Florida until Nov. 14.

Draft saved Draft deleted