1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Home security systems

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Didn't think one was necessary until yesterday.

Anyone out there have experience with them? I'm thinking video is needed since the guy that robbed me may have simply gotten lucky when I left the garage door open or had the code guessed correctly on the opener.

I'm tempted to buy and install something like this. Then leave another pricey, easily grabbed object in view and wait for the arsehole to show up again.
    http://www.cctvdynamics.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=26&idproduct=56
    Four wireless cams and a recording device.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Idaho:

Screw something that expensive.

Buy a junker bike, paint it to where it looks nice, but strip the rubber handles off down to the metal, then repaint the handles black to where it still appears that there are rubber handles.

Then, set it out in front of the garage sometime when you and the family are going to be gone.

Somewhere nearby, hide a car battery and hook a cable up to a metal part of the bike.

When you get home, you'll be able to identify the thief — he'll be the one lying on the ground next to the bike.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

You related to Starman?

I don't want to hurt one of the neighbor kids or a dog that likes to pee on my property. But other than that, the idea has its merits.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Not related to Starman, but I did grow up in a rural area.

My cousin once was having a problem with a feral cat that would come to his back porch at night, claw up onto the metal screen door, and screech and howl incessantly for hours at a time. My cousin would shoo the cat away, only to have it show back up a few minutes later.

So one night, my cousin hooked up one of those old, large flashlight batteries (about the size of a Rubix cube, if memory serves correctly) to the backdoor.

The cat came around, got zapped when he made his leap at the door, and promptly took off in a dead sprint ... right into a nearby road where it was hit by a car.

Cousin felt horrible about it for a day or two — he just wanted the cat gone from the property. He didn't expect the actual end result.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Get your hands on a few decals from a home security company and put'em all over your doors and windows.

The fact that you might have a home security system might be enough of a deterrence.

(Onlly half kidding) ;)

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

The house already has a few of those on the windows. Didn't stop the grab and run during daylight while I was actually inside the house. That's the thing that really gets me. It happened while I was home.

The bike is just a thing.

Knowing a thief was just a few feet away from me and my kids has me the most upset. And it's someone that has struck in the past probably since the next door neighbors had their golf clubs stolen a week or two ago.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Ides, I'm so sorry.

I agree with somebody else who posted yesterday saying it could be a meth thing.

A friend of a friend has a teenager who's on it, and he just stole a neighbor's truck right out of the driveway. These people live out near you, and I think it's big out your way.

My point is, it could just be a junkie looking for quick cash and would have no interest in your family.

But I think it's great you're thinking of home security, if for nothing else than for everybody's peace of mind.

I hope they catch the creep.

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I can see the license tags now:
    Utah: Greatest Snow Pawn Shops on Earth

I'm having a security system installed in my house next week (living through major remodel). It'll have a doorbell camera wired in to my tvs, so if I'm watching tv, I can pause it and see who's at the door on tv. Somewhat different than what you've got going on, but IMO, worth it.

Or, if aesthetics don't matter, you can buy an old-school-type of camera and mount it where it can be seen. Doesn't mean you have to wire it up.

[​IMG]

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Homes that get robbed frequently get hit again, because the slimebags know you'll replace the item(s)....and with insurance money, people usually buy better than what they had the first time.

And even though Lugz is probably right--they wanted the bike, not your kids---God forbid your kids walked in during the robbery.

My security system wasn't cheap, but worth every penny.  I'm away a lot, and I need to know I'm protected, in and out of the house. When you're talking about your valuables, property, family, how can you cut corners?  Last year I added a back up system, works off a remote satellite in case they cut the phone lines that connect the alarm to the central monitoring station.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

we just got an alarm system installed. we went with brinks over ADT. nothing too fancy -- no cameras. just an alarm with motion sensors, glass break sensors and a door sensor. we got it so our homeowner's insurance could go down.

unfortunately it sounds like there's really nothing you can do about a random burglary like you suffered, besides be vigilant. and by vigilant, i mean always close the garage door and never keep stuff outside. i realize with a busy house and four little ones that can be easier said than done.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Lugs and 21 hit it. Just the thought of my kid opening the door to the garage because they heard 'mom' in there only to get hit with a baseball bat by a stoner trying to get away and not get caught is what caused me to sleep not more than two hours last night.

I'm going to go with a cam system. One inside the garage, one at the front door porch and one overlooking the backyard doors. If they want to steal stuff, they'll do it fast and run. I want to have some evidence to get someone arrested next time.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago. Came back from a ride, parked my bike in the driveway and went inside to go around and open the garage door. When I got back to the driveway, bike was gone and my helmet was sitting there on the concrete.

I'm with OnTheRiver. Wouldn't have to fry but one thief before the word gets out to leave your house alone.

Draft saved Draft deleted