1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Home ownership: For the white and rich

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Jun 8, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Mortgage Bankers Association. I'm sure it has no lobbyists and therefore doesn't push political hot buttons.

2. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Justifying racism because someone else is racist? OK, got it. Still doesn't change the fact that the thread title, and poster of said thread title, made a racist statement.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

How you bought, if everyone did it, would present a situation where "housing crisis" never existed.

Fact: Anyone above idiot level has the ability to draw up a budget and realize what they can afford before getting duped by a realtor who says what they "qualify" for. That's talk of a car dealer or carnival barker. Most know the difference. Anyone who didn't shouldn't have a house in the first place.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

So David Stevens says it, you believe it, that settles it? Do you think he means that rich minorities will still get higher rates and be shut out of home ownership because of their race?

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This thread is a potent cocktail of 'what the fuck?'

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Do you honestly think I believe only rich, white people should own homes, or white people? Blame MSNBC or the Daily Mail for using a similar headline, but shut the hell up.

Should I rename the thread "Roasted nuts?"

7. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I agree...who would have thought such obvious racism would be so readily accepted?

8. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Hey, do whatever you want. Just know you are going to get called on it when you say or post something inappropriate.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with your opinion about what people should or shouldn't know. I strongly disagree with your assertion that "most know the difference," and I would say the current situation in the housing market proves that most people don't know the difference between what they can afford and what they qualify for. The amount of financial illiteracy in this country is staggering. Too many people still trust that the banks are looking out for them and would never get them into a bad deal.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Love the Fox News Channel headline on this dog-whistle thread.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The new owners need to page views.

12. printdust

printdust New Member

Incredulous that is.

When we buy a car, we put our expenses down on paper and see what monthly we can afford.
    These days, we do it on eating out.
    The only reason most don't, as you say, is because they're undisciplined and irresponsible with their money. I guess they figure if Congress can spend money it doesn't have, why can't they?

We are a nation of addictive behaviors and enabling reactions and people who exploit that.

When shopping for my first house, with a combined income of $16 an hour, the realtor said we qualified for $88,000 homes. It didn't take much to figure she was full of shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted