1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy WOW! Have you guys heard of this thing called "Beer Pong?!!"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

O'Shea's on the Strip actually has beer pong tables. The good thing about it is it's a good way to get drunk cheaply and have some non-gambling fun for an hour. The bad part is that the tables are in the disgusting food court and the balls end up caroming around the floor.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I was all set to join in the "just because" Rick Reilly bashing until I realized this isn't actually about "Look, beer pong!" but actually about The World Series of Beer Pong, which has been going on three years and apparently gives out $50K in prizes. I don't remember ever reading an article about it before.

I will bash him for making the tournament sound very boring.

3. I got the same vibe from this column that I got from thinking about the skeevy old gent in the white suit, sitting around the keggers, and taking notes for "I Am Charlotte Simmons."

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Did you see the sidebar "What else can you do with a ping-pong ball?" Anyone that's been to a bachelor party want to answer?

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And one of the team names: "Chase's Mom ATM"? Must have told Rick it was a bank reference.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Be here in 2014 when he writes his first cornhole column.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Always an impressive skill.

8. micke77

micke77 Member

you have to be kidding me. reilly devoted a column to this? oh my, i mean how slow of a day for story ideas did this have to be? impressive, impressive indeed.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

And he managed to throw in a Jose Canseco reference. Talk about timely. I can't believe there wasn't mention of Refrigerator Perry.

10. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I agree with this, that it wasn't as horrible as some are making it out to be. It just struck me as lazy. "Hey, my kids are going anyway, so I can hang with them and I'll get a column out of it." That was one of the things that soured me on him at SI. He too often wrote about things near where he lived or things he was involved in. At least that's how I saw it.

11. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

On the other hand I'm not sure how often he's writing, but if this was his production for several days or more, THEN I see all of your points.

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Poor form by the guy in the main art of the story. He's leaning way across the table with his elbow extended way too far. Just drop the ball in the cup, why don't you?

Draft saved Draft deleted