1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy hell Holyfield

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Overrated, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Overrated

Overrated Guest

You gotta be shittin' me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2503484

My money is on the journeyman. By the way, what makes a boxer a journeyman anyway? Does it mean he likes Journey?

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I almost hate to say this, but I hope the guy gets crippled. Maybe that's the message he needs to STAY THE FUCK OUT OF THE RING. And maybe that will serve as a wakeup call to the rest of the geriatrics who think they've still got IT, for some strange reason.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Journeyman's a term from the old days of artisans and craftsmen.
    It's the stage in an artisan/craftsman's career between apprentice and master.
    I believe it is still used in labor unions.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Overrated:

Bates (21-11-1, 18 KOs), 32, of Ashland, Ky., is a scrappy fighter who has faced several notable opponents, all of whom he has lost to. Among them: Kirk Johnson (KO2), Brian Minto (TKO8) and Ray Austin (TKO2), who beat him in his last bout on April 1.

That is the definition of a journeyman boxer

5. this_guy

this_guy Guest

That's brutal.

As a side note...the heavyweight division is pathetic right now.

6. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Does he need the money or is this just a ego thing?

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

I've always been told he was pretty good with his money. This is a pride and ego thing.

But he had started to slur back when he fought Lennox Lewis twice... He'll be a tailor-made tragedy story in less than 10 years, perhaps tragic enough for the writer to win a prize.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Money? Holyfield's manse in Georgia is un-effing-believable. It has a 20-car underground garage, a five-story giant domed entryway, and a dining room that seats something like 40 people.

9. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Well, Tyson had pretty plush accomodations, too.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And you know where he is now ...

[​IMG]

11. Varla

Varla Member

OK, now that was funny!

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I liked this part:

Holyfield will promote his own event under the banner of his newly created company, Real Deal Events, with Bedford serving as his point man.

Holyfield said he worked out his problems with promoter Don King and that they parted on amicable terms.

"We came to an agreement of what would be best," Holyfield said. "We worked it out and I am free from Don. There are no bad feelings."

Um, guess what, Evander? If he in any way, shape or form thought you were still capable of raking in the coin, no way would you be "free from Don." Just saying.

Draft saved Draft deleted