1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy F*&% it's cold out

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

You know, when you guys hit a cold snap and I'm in the middle of a chinook. I'm going to take all the anger built up by this, add to it the frustration of the migraine that comes with the whacked-out barometric pressure, don a pair of shorts and laugh my ass off at you. In January.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I experienced th chinooks for five years, absolutely hated them. They made me sick. My body couldn't adjust fast enough for them. I would rather just stay with the deep freeze right through. By February when it gets back to -10 or warmer I'm in shorts anyways.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

OK, I'll ask: What's a chinook, in reference to its usage in this thread?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

And it's supposed to remain around 60 in New Jersey throughout the week... until a drop to the mid 40s on Sunday.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

So it's warmer where you're at now than it was that night Molina hit the home run to beat the Mets?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The chinook is a western phenomena (someone like Beef or Flash can explain it scientifically) where a warm westerly wind blows over the Rockies and all of a sudden, instead of -20C, it's 20C. In the middle of winter.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Holy fuck.

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

It sounds like the Canuckistanian version of a Santa Ana. Except I can't imagine Raymond Chandler writing about a Chinook.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The Chinook phenomenon: the USA's revenge for all the testicle-crystallizing icy cold fronts that blow down from Canada..."blue northers" as they're known down here.

It's a balmy 37F in my town at the moment, but single-digits and snow is on the way by Wednesday. Santa Claus is definitely coming to town...

EDIT: Which reminds me of one of my favorite Christmas albums...

http://www.answers.com/topic/christmas-with-nat-king-cole-ella-fitzgerald-nancy-wilson-lou-rawls

Nat King Cole and Ella Fitzgerald sing Christmas standards in pretty straight-up fashion, Lou Rawls and Nancy Wilson sing less traditional tunes in pop/r&b/jazz style. It rocks...ignore the modest rating the answers.com people gave it. Don't know how old Ella was when she made the recordings for this one, but her voice is absolutely fucking perfect on these songs. Billie had the soul, Lena had the sweetness, Sarah had the simmer, but Ella...my vote for best female vocalist, period.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Damn fine job, JR. No further explanation necessary. You're hired. ;)

11. Flash

Flash Guest

What truly sucks right now is that the clouds have stayed. Usually when it is this cold, we have clear blue skies and a blazing sun (albeit, a blazing cold sun). But the clouds are still here. We even had an arc remaining on the weekend. And thus, the barometric pressure is all out of whack and so is my head.

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

High today got to 31.......will warm up to 44 overnight.......get to 50 tomorrow........the Cantore blows in Wednesday, and turns everything slicker than shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted