1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy crap, SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GBNF, Aug 6, 2008.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Don't know if anyone else caught this, but come on...

From the Aug. 4 Sports Illustrated:

"Veterans on the Move"
    ASANTE SAMUEL
    Trades were the off-season trend, but a few free agents did cash in. Samuel, the former Pats cornerback, signed with the Eagles for $9.25 million a year — more than Donovan McNabb or Michael Westbrook — then promptly tweaked a hamstring during the team's second practice.

Michael Westbrook? Oooooorrrrrr could it be Brian?

EDIT: But a great story on David Price.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That is bad.

I thought the Price story was just OK.

3. SportySpice

SportySpice Member

Is it just me or has the quality of editing at SI really gone downhill in the past four or five years? I'm talking obvious fact errors, not just subtle points of grammar or language, and usually in one of their main features.
    Course, it's probably just mirroring what's starting to happen at other print outlets as good copy editors get shown the door.

As far as the Price story, I agree with Guy. Would have liked to have read something from Sheffield or Gooden about the good players coming out of the Tampa area.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's not you. The editing has gone way down. But it does happen elsewhere; I find a typo almost every day in the NYT.

5. SportySpice

SportySpice Member

You know, when they first trotted out that SI Players section, I thought that would drive me away because I thought they would turn the whole thing into US Magazine or something similar.
    But all the mistakes I'm seeing and too much mediocre writing is making me think real hard about resubscribing, even at a discounted rate. Still think the best thing I've read in SI this year was that oddball, but really well-written, feature about bird racing near Las Vegas. A little more of that and another copy editor or two and I'd be back in.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Guy Incognito is a Yanks/Red Sox fan pissed that the Rays are still in contention. (Kidding, Guy, kidding. :) )

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Other things SI may have said: Remember that time Brian Westbrook caught that last-second touchdown pass from Kordell Stewart to beat U-M at the Big house.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I thought the Price story tried to force the idea that Tampa Bay was specifically trying to draft black players down our throats, even though TB execs were quoted as saying that it was just a coincidence. Almost like they had a story idea going in, and even if the facts didn't back it up, they were going to stick with it.

9. jps

jps Active Member

agreed. loved that story.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That is bad ... maybe Michael Westbrook is planning on coming back. He trails Steve Smith 2-1 in sucker punching teammates.

11. For sure. Almost every story, I think. Saw a "saids" yesterday, lots of words missing from stories, etc.

12. aschaefe

aschaefe New Member

I'm pretty convinced si.com doesn't employ any copy editors at all. There are at least five errors in just about every staff-written story on that site.

Draft saved Draft deleted