1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy crap, I almost Darwined myself.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Sep 27, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Awesome.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

My parents probably should have been darwined via the barbecue as well.
    They had an old barbeque a couple of years ago, it was to the point where I think it was where the element and hose connected (yeah I'm not big on technical terms) leaked out. They probably used it three times with as much flame shooting out the bottom as the top before they replaced it. not the scare I needed when I was visiting and turned it on. We ended up going out for supper that night. A new barbecue followed shortly. how the old one didn't blow completely i don't know.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I had a darwin moment once involving a near fire at my apt in college. Overloaded an outlet and my first thought was to run and get some water. As I'm running back to the outlet with a glass in hand, I stop myself dead and was like "what the heck am I doing."

I just stood there. Ridiculous. I could not believe myself.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

t,

It's the PETA principle.

That's what you getting for eating red meat and tormenting God's creatures.

5. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I've always been afraid of the gas grill, even back when I had one. I stick to grill pans now. Works almost as well.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

None of this would have happened if you had your tank on the right side...
    See what happens when you lean to the left?

7. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

What an idiot.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Classy post.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

When I buy a grill, I'm getting charcoal. Smells better. :D

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Smells better and tastes better, but you can't beat the convenience.

Glad you're still with us, OT. Important safety tip.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My Darwin moment was also in college...big pan of grease ignites on the stove in my kitchen...I run out to the apt hall way and get the fire extinguisher, which is in one of those break-glass cases, only I didn't break the glass, I pulled the case apart and the entire sheet of glass fell to the ground, shattering on my bare feet and cutting me pretty badly; hobbling, I go back into the apt and the fire is now all the way up to the ceiling. In my excitement, I open up on the fire w/ the extinguisher -- at point blank range. Yep, the pan of grease, on fire, goes shooting across the kitchen and into the den and lands on one of those mamasan sofas you could buy in the 80s at Pier One. You know, the cotton-and-bamboo jobs.

So now, I'm really freaked and empty the entire contents of the fire extinguisher -- the fire goes out, but now I was left with, literally, a 1/4 to half-inch of chemical dust over my entire kitchen, inside the cabinets, the den, the sofa, and the electronic equipment. It looked like it snowed in my apartment. Then suddenly I realized my place looked like a scene from the movie Fargo, as there was blood all over the "snow." Yep, my feet were bleeding.

Good times.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Tony, this explains why your posts this week shook and smelled of rural trailer park.

Seriously, glad you made it out alive. That's damn close.

Draft saved Draft deleted