1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy cow, we lose a true legend

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by casty33, Aug 14, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Yes, Casty he was a very sick man.
    Great line by Steinbrenner:
    "I guess heaven must have needed a shortstop," Yankees principal owner George Steinbrenner said in a statement.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

I know... the last time I saw him on TV he looked rather frail and when he didn't show up at Old Timers' Day, you knew the Scooter had to be pretty bad.

Like I say, it's a sad day but I know they are happy in heaven and eating cannolis.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I'm way too young to have seen Rizzuto play, but one thing that does stick out about his career is that he was an undersized guy who made the most of his ability. Compare that to some of today's players who have talent, but get thrown out at second base because they didn't run out of the box, or they can't get to a fly ball because they don't run full speed.

I do remember the broadcast Phil "Estelle in Astoria, where are my cannoils?" I was sad the day he stopped doing games on WPIX. I always wondered why he wouldn't come back, even if it was for just ONE home game a year--just to hear his stories.

RIP

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

At some point tonight, I will enter a "WW" in my scorebook in tribute to an original.

Thanks, Scooter.

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Just brilliant.

I wish I was born a few years earlier so that I could have memories of listening to Rizzuto's live broadcasts. I only started remembering things around '88 and didn't really pay much attention to baseball until I'd say '91. I actually was at Yogi's museum today when I found out. The Ol' Man didn't seem too down about it, maybe he was just rehashing some of the stories with Dale & Tim. But I was pretty much floored. Even now, I feel like shedding a tear. Before I head into work tonight, I'm getting a bunch of cannolis for everyone in remembrance.

RIP, Phil.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

This was beautiful -- and you're right, for anyone else, it would be painful. Thanks for posting the link.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Like Penn Station and the 2nd Avenue Deli, irreplaceable.

8. They can replace Penn Station any time they want.
    Grand Central, OTOH, I'd like back in its full glory.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I meant this one:

[​IMG]

and this is now a bank:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Listening to Yogi on the Yankees broadcast...he sounds so old, clearly a rough day for him. Love hearing him talk about how he'd visit Scooter at the assisted living home.

Not too many of these living legends still among us.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's a half-hour well spent. I can't see anyone else being allowed to stand up there for a half an hour and not have people either walk out or be booed.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Same here.

Watched him and "White" so, so many time in the early 1980s on PIX.

Draft saved Draft deleted