1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy cow, we lose a true legend

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by casty33, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Precisely.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

RIP to a man I was never lucky enough to hear in regularity, but a legend on all levels.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Growing up in New York state in the late 80s-early 90s, if you ever turned on a Yankees game, you were in store for a few good stories. He was well past his prime when he retired, but he was always a good listen.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

So sad...about 8 years ago, I was in a restaurant in NYC and saw Phil and his wife, Cora at a nearby booth. I've never done it before or since, because I hate the idea of bothering people when they're out, but I walked over to their table and said hi. They were so gracious and so nice. I felt bad for interrupting them, but I'm glad I got to meet him. RIP Scooter.

5. In Exile

In Exile Member

I will never forget the time he told Bill White about the dream he had in which he was swallowing door knobs.

White almost died.

Rizzuto was one of the really good guys around, a real ambassador for the game of baseball.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This one really hit me just now. It's like losing someone you grew up with. Someone mentioned the book of "selected verses." That whole thing started in the 80s when the Village Voice began running his words verbatim as poems. It was pretty funny.

In honor of the Scooter, I give you the poetry of Phil Rizzuto:

Asylum

Got some chocolate-chip cookies here
    Murcer.
    So don't ask me any questions
    For a batter or so.
    All right?

June 17 1992
    New York at Boston
    Roger Clemens pitching to Mel Hall
    Sixth inning, two outs, bases empty
    Red Sox lead 2-1

RIP!

7. In Exile

In Exile Member

One more thing - he is also one of the few people I ever asked for an autograph. In an old old copy of Coronet magazine from the '50s, I found an ad for - I kid you not - "Scooter" shorts, Phil Rizzuto endorsed boxer shorts, decorated with silhouettes of a ballplayer. The ad had a picture of Rizzuto and the quote "I've never worn anything so comfortable!"

I made a copy of the ad, gave it to Rizzuto. He gave me a "Holy cow where in the world did you find that? and signed a copy for me.

Been on my wall ever since.

FYI, his Hall of Fame speech - which is hysterical - is reprinted in the yankee anthology Top of the Heap.

8. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Every time you take a bite of a cannoli, you should think of Rizzuto, the originator of the symbol WW on his scoresheet.

(It stands for wasn't watching)

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I love that!

10. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

That's it, I don't remember the Village Voice thing, but when i saw the book on amazon for 10 dollars last summer, I knew i had to have it.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Never knew Ty Cobb nicknamed him "Scooter." (At least, that's what I heard on ESPN Radio.)

I love the timeline aspect of baseball.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I don't know much about Scooter, but I know my dad will be sad. All his favorite Yankees from his childhood are dying off.

Draft saved Draft deleted