1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy 14-over-par Batman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TwoGloves, May 31, 2007.

1. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

I would let her live her dream if it were truly hers to begin with. Yeah, she may enjoy the rush of competing against the men, but doesn't everyone realize this is mostly her dad and her sponsors pushing for this? If left to her own, wouldn't she prefer to stay on the LPGA and actually win a little (which she will never do on the PGA Tour)? I almost feel sorry for her, but it's also obvious she was told that if she kept playing Thursday she would lose the rest of the season, and she was told to stop. She's not calling all the shots in her "dream" just yet. And I notice the blue type, so even if you were joking, there are plenty of people out there who would say the same thing seriously

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Been there.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, but we dont pay to watch you golf... tho I would if you could do that on the same shot..

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pay to watch me golf either. But a lot of people get a laugh out of it.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Don't know if they post the cutlines from photos online on the Post and Courier website, but they had a priceless one on their "Top of the Second" page.

It showed a car wreck from a NASCAR race, with cars spinning and smoke billowing. The cutline read:

"Cars reportedly crashed out of control Thursday on Highway 41 near RiverTowne Country Club after one of the automobiles was apparently struck with a wayward golf ball. Michelle Wie couldn't be reached for comment."

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

One thing I caught from the Wie story...her Dad and her agent were talking on cell phones over the last two holes Wie played, presumably talking about the 88 rule. Whatever happened to no cell phones on the golf course in pro events??

Argh, I hate cell phones on golf courses. Whether its pros playing for millions or me and my buddies playing quarter skins.

7. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Bottom line is she's barely a mediocre LPGA golfer at this point. Of course her dad and handlers are way too ignorant to see that all the PGA shit is killing her game. It's like watching Ty Tryon all over again. In two years when she's on the LPGA full time and Creamer and Pressel are constantly whipping her ass and winning all the majors she's going to just be a footnote.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

So the wrist was such a problem that you don't retire after your ball careens off a parked car and into a sewer en route to a quint, but you do retire a couple holes later, when your manager stops <I> you </i> and refuses to let anyone else into the conversation, which ends with you telling the official "<i> We're </i> not playing anymore..."

And that has nothing to do with the 88?

This stuff pisses me off, because it's about a very rich girl who has no real idea what she's doing, handled by parents who obviously don’t either, willfully pooping her career down the toilet before it ever takes off.

Take the proper time off, you morons! (Wie included). Don't let her turn in an Ian Baker Finch round, then sit there and pretend she can play next week. She could play all summer and really fuck it up. What is <i> wrong </i> with these people? Are they telepathically conjoined with Lindsey Lohan's handlers?

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I disagree - I don't think it is a fair comparison because Danica Patrick, while she hasn't won anything, has been very competitive and she hasn't embarrassed herself at all. She's had some strong races and she is only in her second year, so the "instant gratification" crowd does have a legitimate argument when they say don't write her off just yet. She'll win some races and maybe even the Indy 500, though, we're not sure how much that means any more.

Michelle Wie on the other hand has been an embarrassment when she's tried to play with the men and thus she deserves all the criticism she gets.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tour needs to suspend her... wouldn't that be something...

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Jennifer Capriatti.

That is all.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

And after some drugging and boozing and breaking things off with Daddy, Jennifer wound up being a hella great player.

Draft saved Draft deleted