1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hollywood still has no new ideas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 17, 2013.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And it worked well enough that not only is the sequel coming soon, but they have announced a third one and spin-offs.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Like others have said, the G.I. Joe movies were new schlock. They'd never been turned into a movie before. The property had also waned, but never really went away. Same with its cousin, Transformers. Hasbro had done a good job of at least keeping the nostalgia fires smoldering with occasional new toy releases and rebooted comic book series.
    Land of the Lost, though, I have no idea. It was a bit before my time, but even in its heyday was it ever a truly popular TV show?

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Nebraska,
    ...Nebraska, Frances Ha, Computer Chess, Room 237, Wolf of Wall Street...This Is the End...

This was a damn good year for film.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Career newspaper man accuses Hollywood of lacking new ideas.

Film at 11:00.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Kentucky Fried Movie remake?

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

IIRC, a Gilligan's Island movie has been rumored since the mid-90s. Chris Farley was supposed to play the Skipper. I can't remember who was supposed to be Gilligan; I want to say Martin Short.

EDIT: Found this - http://www.deseretnews.com/article/348856/GILLIGANS-ISLAND-MOVIE-TO-SAIL-ONTO-FILM-IN-1995.html

7. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

These words, "Starring Ed Helms as Frank Drebin", should have immediately killed the project.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/ed-helms-firing-up-the-naked-gun-reboot-for-paramount-exclusive-1200950237/

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Real Gilligan's Island was bad enough.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Surprised it took so long to get to Gilligan's Island, seems like a more obvious choice than some of the other crap already re-booted.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You mean Gilligan's Island meets the Harlem Globetrotters wasn't a good enough movie?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's always going to be Scorcese or Coen Brothers or David Fincher to put out quality and original ideas.

It's why I love this time of year. The quality movies are coming out now.

It's the summer big money blockbusters that either suck or are just more of the same.

12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

It was a great year but unless you live in a big city (or are lucky to be near a good theater), you'll see these films on DVD or streaming or TV.

Not that good movies aren't good on the small screen but outside of Oscar season or blips like Gravity, Hollywood is still too busy chasing the 16-24 male demographic.

Draft saved Draft deleted