1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holiday work schedules

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bronco77, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I'm two years out of publishing business, and work for a 24/7/365 operation. I'm working my normal schedule, which gives me Mondays and Tuesdays off. I'll take the time and a half and the free meal though.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

As a teacher, I've got you all beat.

But on January 2, it's back to putting up with a classroom full of your little shits, so it works out in the end.

3. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Now that we're into the week between Christmas and New Year's, it's a reminder that I always kind of liked working this week back when I was a metro slot. Most of the upper and middle managers took the week off and weren't around to muck up the works with constant meetings and other types of nonsense, and it was one of the few times all year the newsroom didn't operate in a state of paralysis by analysis. Local governments took the week off, meaning no late meetings. We'd also go to combined editions and dispense with our usual heavy zoning, which meant lighter workloads. Certainly much different than being in sports between Christmas and New Year's.

Riptide likes this.
  4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I know dozens of reporters who wink wink get Christmas off and New Year's off, on their timecards at least. Everybody just works and pretty much donates the time to the corporation to keep their jobs. No overtime, you know.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

You know dozens of stupid reporters then.

FileNotFound likes this.
  6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Out of the business, off Fri-Mon last weekend and this weekend.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  7. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Bronco, you metro slot, you. Since Gannett doesn't cover much local stuff and this year X-Mas and New Year's are on weekends a weekend reporter is in charge of breaking news. We all had to work one holiday and weekend of holiday. I got Memorial Day. We get paid vacation for X-mas and NYE on Monday following this year. Back to work Jan. 3

8. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Same deal for me, minus the two PTO days. A four-day Christmas weekend was fine by me.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Under our old publisher we didn't print a paper Christmas Day or if Christmas fell on a Sunday like this year, we didn't print the following day. He retired this summer, and under our new publisher, no day off.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, who works Christmas or New Year unless they are covering a game or team preparing for a bowl game? And who wouldn't pay them if they did work those days?

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Exactly. He's full of shit.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  12. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I often whine about working holidays but then remind myself how grateful I am that I'm not on the other side of the gurney.

Ace likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted