1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holiday travel thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Angola!, Dec 21, 2008.

1. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I'm getting antsy for my flight in the morning, since apparently a good chunk of Seattle-bound flights were canceled/delayed/etc. today.

Luckily, I have a non-stop from my current city to Seattle and, if I'm delayed getting on the plane, at least my terminal has free wi-fi.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm sitting in Bradley International, which might be the most boring airport on Earth. And I can't check in until 4 a.m. so I'm sitting in the ticketing area watching some guy vacuum. Plus, I'm 99 percent sure my big bag is over the credit limit, which I assumed was about a $25 fee. Nope. $125. So if it's overlimit, I'm going to do all I can to move some stuff around. Hell, I'll go put on three more shirts under my sweater if I have to.

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

After driving 635 miles for work over the last three days, the eight miles across town to mom's house and the 40 miles out to the farm are as much as I want to deal with right now.

At least weather isn't supposed to be an issue. After a couple of days of freezing temps thanks to Saturday's norther (no ice, thank God), it has actually warmed up since nightfall and will be even warmer by sunrise.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Good luck everyone dealing with planes over the next week.

All I got to deal with a four-hour drive back to my folks place and back. With any luck the roads will be some what tolerable. Not holding my breath.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

my (normal) five-hour trip tuesday will probably take closer to 10.

god bless studded snow tires.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Much like Cincinnati, though, it's an easy place to get into and out of (unless you're
    a non-elite flying Delta, in which case, good luck with your life . . )

7. imjustagirl

Greetings from O'Hare. Thanks, United, I didn't want to catch that 8:05 flight. I'd much rather spend three hours here and catch the 11.

8. imjustagirl

And 11 just became 12:10.

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

we're leaving tonight for our 10 hour journey to P.E.I.....ugh. I hope the roads through Maine and New Brunswick are in good shape.

10. imjustagirl

And 12:10 just became 2:46. And the one flight to Cincinnati is booked to overflowing, so no going standby on that.

Anyone in chiSportsJournalists.com want to offer me a spot on their floor tonight? I have a really bad feeling I'm not getting out of here.

11. In my rush to make a 6:30 plane out of Chicago last Friday -- which turned out to be the last chopper off the roof of the embassy -- my cab spun out on the freeway twice, the second time doing a 360 into a Jersey barrier in front of a truck while the Ukrainian behind the wheel kept saying, "It's not my fault" over and over again.
    After that, it was smooth sailing.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

after 4 delays i finally landed at 1 am last night. it was worth it, though. spokane under 3 feet of snow feels much more christmasy than 72 and windy in west texas. i hope everyone else has safe travels.

Draft saved Draft deleted