1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holiday travel thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Angola!, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Figured I might as well get this thread started, since I will be attempting to fly to Spokane tomorrow.

They have 2 feet of snow down and are supposed to get another 6-8 inches today.

Also, I have a lovely 4-hour layover in Las Vegas. I guess that gives me time to deal with delays, plus I can play the slots.

Does anyone know if you can carry lighters onto planes now? I feel like I remember that is allowed now.

Anyway, are more people staying home this year? I'm hoping the airports aren't crazy, but I'm not counting on it.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm not going anywhere, and that's the way it is.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm going to the parents' house for Christmas. I hate the drive, but it goes by quickly enough. They just got a ton of snow this weekend, so I'm hoping that's it for the year -- or at least the week.

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Yes, 'Gola, you can carry lighters on planes. Actually, I think they reversed field and outlawed matches.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You and me both...

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Three, here. I usually never leave the area for Christmas as holiday travel is always Hell and I'd rather just enjoy a nice relaxing Christmas Eve/Day at home while eating some ham and drinking egg nog.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I'll be flying home on Tuesday. Let's hope it goes well.

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Same here, actually. Alaska and Horizon have been canceling flights left and right heading into Seattle, but Southwest has yet to cancel things *knock on wood* and I'm hoping it stays that way for a couple more days. Of course, there's about two feet of snow at my folks' house and it's still coming down.

Of course, if my coworkers and I can't get flights home, I guess we stay in Phoenix for Christmas. Darn.

9. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I'm worried... flying out of MKE thru O'Hare (a quick flight, but one more airport to navigate) and then to my final desitnation... and on Wednesday.... airport closings will screw me.

10. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Fixed.

11. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I had the bad luck of being on Continental's only cancelled flight to my planned destination today. I'm stuck at home 'til Tuesday afternoon, and I have to go to a different departure airport.

Of course Continental claims the cancellation is weather-related, so I can't be compensated for the inconvenience.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I've made the 3-hour trip three times since Thanksgiving and have two to go.

We're flying to NYC the Monday after Christmas. Hopefully we don't get snowed in.

Draft saved Draft deleted