1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holiday Bonus

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Totally Krossed Out, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Anybody get one this year?

My shop had given them in recent years, but couldn't afford it this year. Instead we got $50 gift
    certificates to the mall (one of those certificates that work at any Simor or whatever mall).

Very disappointing.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Be happy there's a bonus at all, TKO.

Here's another bonus for you: keeping your job.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Yeah, I'd take that.

Our "office party" is potluck. We're just grateful that the suits are coughing up 50 cents for each of us to get a soda from the machine...

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

My last paper gave us profit sharing. I got a nice 450 dollar check the week before Christmas.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

My first newspaper gave all employees a week's pay as a Christmas bonus, which was nice except for the fact that the pay was so paltry to begin with.

Another one gave us a $25 gift certificate to a local food distribution company, which I'm almost certain the paper did not have to pay for; it was done in "in exchange for promotional considerations."

I had one other one give us each a turkey.

It has been at least 10 years since any of my employers has done anything like this, though.

I've never complained about it, because frankly, I don't view this as something I'm entitled to and I don't want to be regaled with the above comment about it being a bonus to keep my job.

Bah freakin' humbug

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I got $50 bucks.

I'm ecstatic.

7. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

I got one this year, too, and it was a pretty nice surprise.

Of course, I've been at my new shop for about five months now and have been surprised -- in good ways -- quite often.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I got $175 (that's the figure I got based on some complicated formula based on salary, hours worked, etc.) and wasn't expecting it at all. Nice surprise. Also liked that my boss showed up at my home a couple of days ago with a plate of home-baked goodies and a slip of paper telling me I was getting a raise and exactly how much per hour it was.

A previous paper gave everyone a $20 gift card to Wal-Mart -- the day after running an editorial ripping into Wal-Mart after it announced plans to turn the existing store in a Super Wal-Mart with a grocery store.

9. I got a kick in the a$$ and told I better clean up my act or I won't be around to see next Christmas.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've only worked at one place that gave us a Christmas bonus -- $15 gift cards to local grocery stores. The paper got them for free as part of some sort of ad deal, and I NEVER actually got one to the Krogers I shopped at.

I would have prefered nothing. I mean $15 is just an insult.

11. No, $15 is a case of Miller Lite!!!!

12. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

What the heck is a Christmas bonus?

Draft saved Draft deleted