1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hofstra drops football program

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

GSU in the CAA is dumb. They're hundreds of miles from anyone and they haven't added a damned thing to the CAA profile since showing up, except that they're in a big city, and the CAA thinks that gets them into that market. But how much does Georgia State, Drexel, Towson, Hofstra and Northeastern help boost the CAA in their respective markets? Little, if any.

Ideally, the CAA is a North Carolina-Virginia-DC-Maryland conference, but that's not likely to happen any time soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Nova and Delaware refuse to be separated. Whatever division one is in, the other will be in.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

VCU needs to start football!

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Attendance in the first round is usually fairly weak across the board — App State only had 12,216 — because of Thanksgiving. There will be at least 15,000 at UR Stadium on Saturday.

5. Mystery Meat II

Totally! Their stupid last president (who is not stupid, he just hates football) would never let it happen. The new president isn't quite as adamantly opposed. They can move into UR Stadium, which UR doesn't own, because it's closer to VCU anyway. And now that Richmond is a national champion and ODU sells out for Chowan and Presbyterian, maybe they'll finally make the move.

In reality, Christopher Newport will join the CAA in football before VCU.

6. Mystery Meat II

Definitely. App travels, too. A little surprised more people didn't make the three hour drive up from Elon for last week's game.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

VCU needs football like I need hemorroids. I'll leave it at that, though I can go a lot longer.

8. Mystery Meat II

About the football, right? Right?

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. I'll save my roids for another thread.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

"I'm not here to talk about the past."

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm not up to date on the talk of football at Mason. I know when I was there in the late 90s, it was up for a vote or something and the dumb president waited until people left for summer break to annouce the rejection. I don't even know if Mason has pursued it since. I'm guessing it has, but who knows....

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

There are also about 40 walk-ons on at Spiderville, who might go elsewhere if not for football. Granted, they all don't pay full freight, but ever 40 walkons at $25 k a year is $1 million of football-generated revenue that isn't counted as football-generated revenue.

Here's the deal. College athletics cost money. At most schools, they are a money-losing proposition, if you look at them from a pure revenue/deficit standard, without the immeasurables (alumni connections, spin-off giving to other departments, attracting students who might otherwise go elsewhere, etc.).

If you think athletics are an overall benefit your school, add to the overall college experience, and do help foster meaningful, productive alumni/community ties to the university beyond graduation, then shut up and pay the piper.

Draft saved Draft deleted