1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hoeppner won't coach Indiana football this fall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Indiana football coach Terry Hoeppner won't coach at Indiana this fall to focus on his recovery from cancer. Ex-Ball State coach Bill Lynch will take his place.

Here's the link to the Bloomington paper. AP has moved something too.

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/

I hate to see this because many around the program fear the worst for Hoeppner, who is one of the good guys.

2. trounced

trounced Active Member

Didn't Indiana have a top assistant die of cancer a few years back?

Prayers for Terry Hoeppner.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Had the chance to interview him a few times. You're right, Bubbler, he's one of the good guys.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yes. I think it was Pete Schmidt, who was Cam Cameron's assistant head coach. Around '00 or so.

5. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

From those I know somewhat around the situation, things do not look promising for the future. I really hope they are wrong, and I wish Hep and his family the best.

6. trounced

trounced Active Member

Goodness. Just looked it up. Thanks for the name. Schmidt won a Div. III national championship as a head coach at Albion in the early 1990s and had a career record of 106-26-5.

Doing a Google search with "Indiana football cancer" I also found that the 20-year-old daughter of one of Indiana's former administrative assistants died of brain cancer in 1999.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The lack of information the last few months spoke volumes. It's really too bad, his enthusiasm was remarkable.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

This is really awful. Thoughts and prayers, as always.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I hate to say it, but Hoeppner : Indiana football :: Dave McClain : Wisconsin football.

Hoeppner is one of the good guys and is perfect for IU. He brought energy and excitement back to the program and has said all the right things. I wish him nothing but the best.

10. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

As far as midwestern college football goes, I couldn't think of a classier guy to step into Terry's shoes in this situation than Bill Lynch. One of the best people that I've ever dealt with, prep, college or pro.

11. My wife's cousin attends IU and has said that Hoeppner is a classic, stand-up guy. Don't know how many of those we have left in college football.

12. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

I had the privledge of interviewing him twice a few years ago when he was at Miami and I enjoyed him as much as any coach I've ever talked to. His energy and enthusiasm were contagious then and I pray those qualities, as well as his faith and God's grace, will carry him a long way now.

Draft saved Draft deleted