1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hockeytown vs the Centre of the Hockey Universe in 2013. God help us all.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Feb 9, 2012.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This thing will be sold out within a week of tickets going on sale. It's a no fucking brainer. And up here, especially in SW Ontario, there are as many Wings fans as Leafs fans.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't believe it is any kind of homage to a simpler time.

I just think it is a cool, fun game to watch.

The only disservice I think they do themselves is putting themselves on against a bunch of good bowl games, and that makes it hard for me to watch it live each year.

Other than that, I think it's been a fun game each year. They did something interesting, and it works.

Why can't we just leave it at that?

3. derwood

derwood Active Member

A week?

4. mb

mb Active Member

Went to a Carolina-Toronto playoff game 10 years or so ago. Want to say it was on a weekend before a Canadian holiday or something. Remember thinking that there couldn't possibly be anybody left in Toronto. It was an absolute invasion.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Anyone have the 1/1 hockey ratings vs bowls on at the same time the last 5 or so years. I have to think the ice is making significant inroads.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This year -- but it was more because of the quality of the bowl games -- I found myself flipping over to watch a minute or two of hockey every once in a while. If it got ME to do that, it must have something.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I enjoy the Winter Classic as an event but it should be just that. A regular season game that is played in often less than stellar conditions ... not so much.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

True, but what a fun invasion.

The 2002 Eastern Conference final. The Whalercanes' bandwagon was gathering serious steam. Toronto fans - thousands of them - came south, enjoyed tailgating and (probably, by what they were used to) dirt-cheap tickets and hotel rooms.

A fun time had by ball, particularly the home team after clinching the series in six games.

Sabres fans did the same thing for the 2006 Eastern Conference final.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Winter Classic was on Jan. 2 this year?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'm interested in the GLI played at Comerica Park. two games, two nights, outside, Michigan in late December... Those are the games with rows of empty seats....

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'm assuming they will have Saginaw play Plymouth and Sarnia play Windsor in the two OHL games...right?
    I'm a sucker...I'll be going to as much of this as possible.

12. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

The Wings-Leafs game will sell out, guaranteed. Lots of Wings fans never get to see them in person, and this is the chance. Like it's been said above, lots of Leafs fans will come out of the woodwork, not just from southwest Ontario. It's an easy drive/train ride/flight from Toronto.

The GLI will draw a good crowd to Comerica. It usually sells out at JLA, but I'm not sure it'll sell out at Comerica.

As far as the OHL, meh. The only hope for a good crowd for those games are an influx of fans from Ontario. Michigan's OHL teams get very, very little attention.

Draft saved Draft deleted