1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hockey Weekend in America...is this on anyone's radar?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's on my radar ... or at least the game being broadcast on NHL Network in the States tonight. Plus the little ceremony preceding it.

Granted, no 17 laundry here. Will have to make do with 10 or 30.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It was NBC.

NBC doesn't start showing games on Sunday until January or later. I believe the Wings-Bruins game was NBC's first this year, possibly second. (Not including the Jan. 1 outdoor game).

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I nearly asked -- and I guess I should have -- is there were different rules that tended to keep the puck in play.

Thanks for the pictures Gutter. Now I can see that there's a little bit of a snow berm to keep pucks in play if they stay along the ice.

So the "net" is just a couple of inched high, is that right? Is it regulation width, and is their a designated goalie or not?

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Width is regulation I believe--6' There are no goalies. I think it depends on the tourney but some games are three on three.

No face-offs other than to start the game. Team scoring has to go back to their side of centre ice. Team scored on just starts up the ice.

No icing and usually no offsides.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

6. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

It's actually regional coverage at 12:30 ET (Caps-Sabres, Flyers-Rangers and Wings-Wild), then a Stanley Cup Final rematch at 3:30, then Heritage Classic on Versus at 6. Not bad for a Sunday.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The temperature in Calgary for the Heritage Classic could be as low as minus 21C or minus 6F. Ouch

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wear Your Cup

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I was thinking "Sandy's Brigade"

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hard to Kill
    Easy to Beat

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That pond hockey event looks cool. Those goals sure beat the two boots we used to use when I was a kid.

And if you guys are playing in the "skating in quicksand" speed division, count me in. :)

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The most encouraging stat (well, if you're a hockey fan) is this:

Participation throughout the United States has increased from 195,000 male and female players of all ages registered with USA Hockey in 1990-91 to 475,000 in 2009-10. Earlier this year, it registered its 100,000th player at the 8-and-younger level.

The problem still remains that hockey can be an extremely expensive sport, particularly for elite players.

Hell, the goalie equipment for my son cost over $3,000 ten years ago.

But for younger kids there are places where you can buy second hand stuff relatively inexpensively. You can outfit a ten year old for about $300 or so but for a lot of families that's still a lot of coin

Draft saved Draft deleted