1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hockey stats question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedCanuck, Dec 13, 2006.

1. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I was having a discussion with a coach the other day about goaltending stats, specifically, who receives a win or loss in a game where two guys play.

I say, and this is the case in the NCAA statisticians manual, the goaltender who was in the net when the game winning goal was scored is tagged with the win or the loss.

He says the starting goaltender is always tagged with win or loss, unless the game is tied during the time the backup is in the game.

For example, Team A has a 3-0 lead and the goaltender is pulled. Team A retains the lead, but wins 5-3. Should the loss for Team B not go to the goaltender in net when goal four was scored? Might there be inconsistencies between a few different levels?

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

A goaltender receives a win if he is on the ice when his team scores the game-winning goal.

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Yes, that much is obvious. How about a goaltender receiving a loss?

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

The losing goalie is the goalie on the ice when his team allows the game-winning goal.

If it's the only goal he allows, so be it. He still takes the loss.

5. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Agreed, thanks.

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

By the way, Red, what hockey coach wouldn't know that, or at least agree with it or recall it when you explain to him!?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

As a coach, I can say that it's a situation that almost never comes up.

In my entire playing/coaching memory, I can only think of one time where I saw a team that pulled its goalie come back and win that game.

FWIW.

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

It happened here once so far this year. But I can't remember the last time I saw it.

9. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

It was a junior coach, a guy who has had a book published about coaching even, and he was convinced it was that way.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Happens all the time in the league I cover. Several times a season. Already happened at least once this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted